Student house rush

Talant

Hi,

In a webcomic I recently saw a new (for me) meaning of "rush". In there, a new student who has just arrived to an University, gets lost in the campus and ends in a student house. A girl greets her and says "Let me be the first to welcome you to the Academy and the Aphrodite House Sorority Rush". It looks like they've free rooms and are looking for students to fill them.

What's the exact meaning of "rush" in that sentence? Is it BE, AE or both?

Thanks

• Masood

British English
    Hi
    It very much looks like an AE-only meaning of rush. It might possibly mean what you have suggested. i.e. the sorority is looking for members, and the rush is a means of interviewing or screening them.

Pure guesswork on my part.

Let's see if an American can give you a definition.

Talant

Hi Masood (and any other visitor to this thread):

I've asked my English teacher and he has giving me another idea. It might be that they're expecting a lot of people and that's why they're calling it "rush". However, in the webcomic the room is almost empty.

What do you think?

no no, it's AE term. "Rush Week" and "rushing" refers to the freshman (new students) applying to different fraternities and sororities at university. Sometimes they are subject to very degrading treatment to prove they will be a loyal member (eg playing football naked at night). Often though it's just a fun week of pranks, as much as I know!

BAndrew

Kaylee tiene toda razon. En ese contexto RUSH refiere a esa practica degradante. Si google RUSH mas COLLEGE CAMPUS o FRATERNITY veria que puede ser un problema para los universidades y sus estudiantes.