study for one hour then take a shower and go to sleep

Banet Eagle

Arabic
Hi all,

I want to tell a friend why I don't have time and/or don't feel like talking late at night. So I've made up the following sentences:

1. "When I get back home I feel a little tired to discuss anything. I just study for one hour then take a shower and go to sleep"
2. "____________________________________________________I just study for one hour and take a shower and go to sleep"
3. "____________________________________________________I just study for one hour, take a shower then go to sleep"

My question is what sentence defines the sequence of actions clearer? for some reason I feel that saying "study for one hour and take a shower" in 2 may mean that both action are being done concurrently. Perhaps you've studied for half an hour then took a shower then got back to studying (this is not what I want to express). Is this reasoning correct?
Because of this I lean towards using "then" as in 1 to make sure the order is clear. As for "and" in between "take a shower and go to sleep", the order is logically clear.
I also think that using a comma and "then" in the end would be the best option.
Could somebody please confirm or refute my points.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I prefer #1 which runs smoothly and sounds most natural.
    I'd say 'too tired' rather than 'a little tired'. I'm a little tired so I can't talk for long. vs I am too tired to talk at all.

Hermione

Banet Eagle

Arabic
    Thank you Hermione for the additional info. Do you think "study for one hour and take a shower" may have the implication that the actions are happening concurrently as I explained in my post?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I, too, like your first sentence, with just minor changes:
    When I get back home I feel a little too tired to discuss anything. I just study for one an hour, then take a shower and go to sleep.
    I think the sequence of events is clear. We'd say "an" hour, since "one" sounds as if you were timing it.

Banet Eagle

Arabic
    Thank you Parla. I am still interested in how a native speaker would interpret a phrase like "study for an hour and take a shower". Does it have any implication that taking a shower happened sometime while studying?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I wouldn't take it as meaning the two actions were simultaneous (the person showered while studying, or was studying whilst in the shower), but it could mean that the person studied for half an hour, took a shower, and then studied for another half hour.

Banet Eagle

Arabic
    I wouldn't take it as meaning the two actions were simultaneous (the person showered while studying, or was studying whilst in the shower), but it could mean that the person studied for half an hour, took a shower, and then studied for another half hour.
    Thank you very much RM1(SS). That's what I wanted to know.

< Previous | Next >