study or studies

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hello, everyone

I know when "study" is used as a noun, I can mean either "research" or "schoolwork".

When it means "schoolwork", would I use plural or singular?

e.g. : Strict control helps children to focus better on their study(or studies).

Thanks a million

• heypresto

English - England
    You could use either. Use 'study' if you're talking about the study of a particular thing, and use 'studies' if you mean 'schoolwork' in general. 'Studies' is probably more common.

(Strict control sounds a bit scary :eek:)

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    There's a fair amount of overlap, but in the interest of clarity I'd suggest that you use studies for schoolwork in general, and study for an individual piece of research, or the room you do it in.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    You could use either. Use 'study' if you're talking about the study of a particular thing, and use 'studies' if you mean 'schoolwork' in general. 'Studies' is probably more common.

(Strict control sounds a bit scary :eek:)
    I paraphrased "less control" in the essay question below as "strict control"

Some people believe that children should obey rules and listen to their parents and teachers. Some others believe that less control will help children deal with adult life.Discussion both views and give your opinion.

< Previous | Next >