Study (the) multiplication tables

tvlinks

Spanish
I have a little question, should I say "study the multiplication tables" or "study multiplication tables". I recorded a video with the preposition THE. Both are valid? Hope you can help me :S

Thanks

• tvlinks

Spanish
    Thanks. These are the sentences:
    1) "Today we are going the study the multiplication tables from 1 to 10".
    2) "Let's start with the 1 times table".

Both are possible, so we would have to see how you used the phrase in a complete sentence.

gengo

American English
    These are the sentences:
    1) "Today we are going the study the multiplication tables from 1 to 10".

As far as I know, there is only one multiplication table, so there is no need for the plural form there. Of course, that table can be expanded indefinitely in both directions (horizontally and vertically), so it can be of any size desired, but it is still the same table. And that table is usually limited to being no larger than 10x10. It's just a matrix.

As for your question, I agree that the article sounds more natural here.

javamonkey

Sanskrit
    It's the same as the periodic table (of elements). The reason it's called a table is because it's a large chart with columns and rows (akin to a "table") and then you find the value looking at the column and row headers.
    If you change that into "multiplication tables from 1-10" that's a bit strange.

tvlinks

Spanish
    Well, I started the video with the 1 times table. Next, the 2 times table, and so on. So, I review different tables in the video.
    As far as I know, there is only one multiplication table, so there is no need for the plural form there. Of course, that table can be expanded indefinitely in both directions (horizontally and vertically), so it can be of any size desired, but it is still the same table. And that table is usually limited to being no larger than 10x10. It's just a matrix.

As for your question, I agree that the article sounds more natural here.

Downbow

English - USA/Canada
    First let me say I'm glad to hear that the multiplication tables are still being studied somewhere. I learned them in the 1950s and now amaze people in their thirties by multiplying 2 x 7 in my head, without a calculator. That said, though gengo and javamonkey are undoubtedly technically correct, I learned the "times tables," plural, one to ten, and will always think of them that way.