study

< Previous | Next >

cigogne

Persian
Hi,

Is "study" used in a right place and form in the following context or shall I use another word?

"Study of the factors and identification of dangerous and accident- prone areas in the organization is of particular importance to prevent accidents."

Thanks!

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Thanks! Can I ask for more explanation?
    Whilst we're not allowed to do re-writes in this forum, I expect that I can offer some general guidance though.

Firstly, your use of 'study' is fine (as per the original question).

I think that most of the confusion (generated by your sentence) is structural and derives from your hope that the double-barreled form of 'factors and identification' can sensibly distribute over the second double-barreled form 'dangerous and accident-prone areas'.
    The sentence over all is expressing a simple thought - maybe the structure should reflect that.

Last thought, people are accident-prone, not areas. Good luck.

cigogne

Persian
    Last thought, people are accident-prone, not areas. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Just one last question. I googled the word and I found a lot of results. For example Answers.com has given this definition: "It is a name given to a place or a road where accidents occur frequently".

What is your comment?

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    That's news to me - it may be an AE vs. BE distinction, I just don't know. My suggestion: start a new thread entitled "'Accident-prone' - people or things?", and see what happens.

< Previous | Next >