stupefies/cockeyed credit

< Previous | Next >

SophieD

FRANCE - FRENCH
A man whose former fiancee, Valentine, is now marrying to a society man stands outside a church where the wedding takes place. He's drunk.
Man : Valentine, do you take this social register parasite to be your legal wedded toy, to hate, dishonor and ignorer ?
Since it brings material advantages both social and financial AND STUPEFIES AND ANNOYING INNATE FINENESS with which I've been afflicted, I do.

I don't quite understand the end of the sentence. Maybe there's something wrong in the script. Could you please tell me what you understand ? How would you rephrase it ?

He goes on : Then I prononce you man and wife. AND A COCKEYED CREDIT TO THE COUNTRY
What does he mean ?

• Old Novice

USA, English
    A man whose former fiancee, Valentine, is now marrying to a society man stands outside a church where the wedding takes place. He's drunk.
    Man : Valentine, do you take this social register parasite to be your legal wedded toy, to hate, dishonor and ignorer :confused: ?
    Since it brings material advantages both social and financial AND STUPEFIES AND :confused: ANNOYING INNATE FINENESS with which I've been afflicted, I do.

I don't quite understand the end of the sentence. Maybe there's something wrong in the script. Could you please tell me what you understand ? How would you rephrase it ?

He goes on : Then I prononce you man and wife. AND A COCKEYED CREDIT TO THE COUNTRY
    What does he mean ?
    Can you please check the first quotation in the places I've flagged? If these changes are correct, I believe that both phrases are intended to be very sarcastic. In the first, my guess is that she's saying that she was born with an innate fineness, which would normally be a good quality, and by marrying this rich lout it will be stupified, i.e., driven into insensibility. She may view this as a good thing, because she's marrying someone she doesn't love, or she may be saying that she understands the loss but is willing to pay it because she wants the money and social standing so much.

In the second, my guess is that the intent is to say that marrying someone who is personally distasteful because he is rich is very much in the spirit of how things are done in this country, which the man deplores.

Just my guesses. :)

SophieD

FRANCE - FRENCH
    Thanks for your answers. I believe your changes are correct. (There were probably some errors in the film script I've been given. Since the man is drunk, he's hard to understand )
    Theses sentences are indeed meant to be sarcastic.

< Previous | Next >