stylish

Revontuli

Turkey-Turkish
Hello,

I need an adjective to describe a piece of fabric but the word "stylish" doesn't work much. I need one which means elegant but not showy. I think "dashing" is old-fashioned? What would you suggest?

Some of the fabric we chose are ...?.... enough not to require more details on the shirts.

Thank you,
Revontuli

• ewie

English English
    I think I'd probably only use flattering to talk specifically about the colour of a fabric, Ezgi:
    That fabric's very flattering to you, it goes perfectly with your violet eyes.

Erm ... I can think of no better word for 'elegant' than ... elegant:D:)

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I need an adjective to describe a piece of fabric but the word "stylish" doesn't work much. I need one which means elegant but not showy.
    How about a collocation like understated elegance? Are you speaking about the fabric itself or about something that is made from it?

Loob

English UK
    Revi, I'm not sure I've quite understood the idea. Are you saying that the fabrics have a strong print and/or colour and so they can be made up very simply and still be attractive?

If so, perhaps what you're looking for is "striking" or "distinctive".

Revontuli

Turkey-Turkish
    Sorry for being late to clarify it.

I'm talking about the fabric itself including the colour, the pattern and the good match with the specific model. I think the best choices are "elegant/striking/distinctive/understated elegance".

Thank you all:),
    Revontuli

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    You can use "Alamode", I think it suitable?
    It certainly would raise some eyebrows in American English. Have you looked it up in a dictionary, STELE?

The adjectival form clearly is amusing as well as inappropriate, and the noun refers to a specific fabric. I believe the thread starter is seeking an adjective.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I like Loob's suggestion of striking.

There's also the word, stunning.

The fabric is striking/stunning enough on its own that it doesn't need anything else.

AngelEyes

< Previous | Next >