Stylish

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
Dear friends,

a. It's stylish / fashionable to wear T-shirts or shirts inside out in Vietnam now.

- Is this sentence natural?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• tomandjerryfan

English (Canada)
    The sentence is fine grammatically but it may be a bit awkward. A native speaker might say:

Wearing shirts inside out is the style in Vietnam now.

namlan

Banned
    Vietnam
    You might also say, "It's the fashion to wear T-shirts or shirts inside out in Vietnam now."
    Dear friends,

- Are these sentences also natural?

a. Wearing shirts and T-shirts the wrong way round is the style in VN now.
    b. ..................................... back to front is the style in VN now.

Thanks so much!

NamLan

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Hi namlan,

Those both look fine, except I feel as though "now" at the end of the sentence doesn't sound terribly good.

How about:

Wearing shirts and t-shirts the wrong way round/back to front is the current style in VN.

Joelline

American English
    The sentences sound natural to me. It is also "natural" in AE to put the word "now" at the end of the sentence. In fact, people in my region of the USA often use "nowadays" even more often than "now" at the end of sentences.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    It is also "natural" in AE to put the word "now" at the end of the sentence. In fact, people in my region of the USA often use "nowadays" even more often than "now" at the end of sentences.

Interesting! Which makes me wonder whether it's regional or I'm just a bit weird (quite possible!)

I'm happy to use "now" on the end of sentences in some circumstances, eg "What's he up to now?", however it sounded a bit inelegant to me in this case.

"Nowadays" sounds better to me at the end of namlan's sentence than "now".

< Previous | Next >