Sub-Minute-of-Angle

1vic

Russian
My 5.56 DPMS Carbine shoots "Sub-Minute-of-Angle"
That's good!

The rest of my guns all shoot Sub-Minute-of-A-Hole.
That's good enough.

-------------------------------------------
Does anybody know what Sub-Minute-of-Angle/Hole means?

Thank you for your help
Vic

Last edited:
  • Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I suppose "sub-minute of angle" would be an angle of less than one minute, i.e., less than 1/60th of a degree or 1/21,600th of a circle. In relation to a firearm, it might indicate the degree of accuracy of the flight of the bullet after leaving the muzzle. I have no idea what "sub-minute of a hole" could mean.

Did you find these phrases in real English sentences, probably written by native speakers? If so, please describe the source and give both the full sentences in which they were found and other sentences preceding or following those sentences.

1vic

Russian
    Makes no sense to me - but without context or source, I can't begin to help :(
    The context is above. There is nothing more to post there.
    It's about guns and the way they shoot. I guess, we need someone who knows guns very well.
    55.6 is a carbine caliber.
    DPMS is a company that makes AR-15 rifles.
    But, I cannot figure out what Sub-Minute of Angle/Hole means.

Thanks anyway, Julian!

Vic

Last edited:

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    No, that's not the "context"?

To begin with, where did you see the red content in your original post? Was it the entire text? For that to be the case, it would have had to be printed on a single sheet of paper that you saw somewhere, or to have constituted an entire Web page. In either case, where was the sheet of paper, or what was the location of the Web page? Was there any other content on the site?

No English is devoid of context.

1vic

Russian
    Did you find these phrases in real English sentences, probably written by native speakers? If so, please describe the source and give both the full sentences in which they were found and other sentences preceding or following those sentences.
    Someone used it as a signature at some gun forum I have been browsing.
    That's all I got. I realize that the expression could be specific to shooting competitions or sniper shooting.

Thanks Fabulist!

I think you nailed the angle thing. As I can see there is a vertical line on official targets and it could be that they use minutes to identify degree of deviation of the bullet trajectory from the original course. "Sub-minute" - is a degree they use for measuring it. It sounds logical. Thanks again.

Sub-minute-of-a-hole is still a mystery to me.

Vic

Last edited:

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    OK, if "Sub-Minute-of-Angle" is more or less correct then here is another best (but not necessarily very good) guess about the whole "signature":

My 5.56 DPMS Carbine is very accurate.
    The rest of my guns are accurate enough to hit an asshole.

"a-hole" = "ass-hole" = the rectal opening = slang for an obnoxious or disagreeable person; a jerk.

My DPMS carbine is very accurate, but with any of my guns I can shoot and kill anyone who acts like an asshole and pisses me off [makes me angry].

It might be a joke, but I would give the correspondent whose signature this is a wide berth in person.

1vic

Russian
    WOW! You are a genius.
    That is exactly what it means.
    A-hole! Of course, "A" is capitalized.
    Why did not I think of it?

Thanks a lot, guys!
    You are the best.
    Vic

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    While not precisely accurate, a "minute-of-angle" is deemed among U.S. shooters to be one inch for every hundred yards of range.

Thus, if a weapon is capable of such accuracy as its shots (normally five or 10) have a maximum spread of 1" at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards, etc., it is said to be shooting "under a minute of angle."

I suspect that the "sub minute of a-hole" means they are capable of hitting intruders or other threatening evildoers. That's not a common phrase.

1vic

Russian
    Thank you for the explanations, sdgraham!

Angular Measurement:
    Complete circle is 360° °
    60 minutes in one degree [ ’ ]
    60 seconds in one minute [ ” ]

I suspect that 1 inch spread at a distance of 100 yards will create 1 minute angle but my geometry skills are so rusty that I am leaving proving the theory to someone else.

Last edited:

1vic

Russian
    Thanks for the link, sdgraham!

It's a very interesting reading. I made a copy of the article for future reference.
    I have searched wiki before but found nothing. Now, I see that I have been using the incorrect keywords.

It was a productive conversation, gentlemen! We learned something new today. Thank you for your time,

God Bless

< Previous | Next >