sub node or sub-node

< Previous | Next >

manuela76

Bulgarian
Hi guys,

I need to do a small instruction for a program, and send it to a colleague that is a native English speaker, but I am not sure how the following word is written:

This is an example:

Click the Inbox sub node, and in the panel that appears, right-click the email you wish to convert to pdf.

or

Click the Inbox sub-node, and in the panel that appears, right-click the email you wish to convert to pdf.

Could you please help me to select the correct word?

• Chez

English English
    As it's not a very common word, I doubt if many people know whether it is hyphenated or not (I don't). I'd be inclined to hyphenate it to make clear it forms one term.

However, are you sure you need the term 'sub-node'? I have no idea what that could mean in terms of something you might click on a computer screen.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I take hyphenation questions to the Google Books Ngram Viewer, which is based on millions of published books.
    If you click here, you will see that "subnode" (single word) is more frequent than either of the two forms you mentioned.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Click the Inbox sub node, and in the panel that appears, right-click the email you wish to convert to pdf.
    Unless your English friend is heavily into computers and programming, and if you are talking about a mail program, I would not use "subnode" at all.

"Click the Inbox sub node, and in the panel window/box that appears, right-click the email you wish to convert to pdf."

manuela76

Bulgarian
    Unless your English friend is heavily into computers and programming, and if you are talking about a mail program, I would not use "subnode" at all.

"Click the Inbox sub node, and in the panel window/box that appears, right-click the email you wish to convert to pdf."
    Thanks, PaulQ. Indeed, the text explains how to work with a feature of a mail program.

< Previous | Next >