subdivide

< Previous | Next >

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would like to please ask you if the expression in bold is correct in the following sentence:
I subdivide the Definitions and Abbreviations section in Chemical Symbols, Physical Symbols and Other abbreviations

Last edited:
  • srk

English - US
    The idea of "group" is OK, but it complicates the grammar. "Group as" works better than "group into." Offhand, I can't find a way to make it work.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    This is presumably a title of a section in a book or academic paper (since it is capitalized)? Then I would not use group. If it's a physical group of things then yes, but it wouldn't be capitalized. However, I would still use "group into".

What are you working on?
    Thanks, RedwoodGrove. for your reply. I am working on superconductors. Do you mean that you would still use group into in this context or in general.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    If I've understood thus far, both of these sound acceptable to me too:
    I subdivide the Definitions and Abbreviations section into Chemical Symbols, Physical Symbols and Other Abbreviations
    I group the Definitions and Abbreviations section into Chemical Symbols, Physical Symbols and Other abbreviations

I'd probably use "to break down":
    I break down the Definitions and Abbreviations section into Chemical Symbols, Physical Symbols and Other Abbreviations

(I'd capitalize the final "Abbreviations" to be consistent.)

EDIT: Cross-posted with RG.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I subdivide the Definitions and Abbreviations section into Chemical Symbols, Physical Symbols and Other Abbreviations
    I group the Definitions and Abbreviations section into Chemical Symbols, Physical Symbols and Other abbreviations

I break down the Definitions and Abbreviations section into Chemical Symbols, Physical Symbols and Other Abbreviations

:tick::thumbsup:

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    In something written?

EDIT: Cross-posted with RG.
    Thanks, RedwoodGrove and perpend. To RedwoodGrove: I just meant to write that I correct Physical Symbols into Symbols for Physical Quantities.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    OK, something written. Then Perpend's advice is very good.
    Physical Symbols into Symbols for Physical Quantities
    This is really a question of usage in the field among scientists. I have no real science background. Several people here are well versed in this sort of thing. I was primarily focusing on the editing issues. Your best bet would be to start a new thread on this single issue so it doesn't get muddied with everything that came before. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

manfy

German - Austria
    Thanks, RedwoodGrove and perpend. To RedwoodGrove: I just meant to write that I correct Physical Symbols into Symbols for Physical Quantities.
    I think both terms will be understood correctly in your context. The latter sounds more formal and more correct because <physical something> in general context has usually the primary meaning of 'physical (real/observable) manifestation of something'.

< Previous | Next >