subdivision of an exercise

Emerlander

Tamil - India
Suppose there's an English grammar book. The book is the second volume of a 4 volume series. And this particular volume (vol. 2) has 10 chapters. Each chapter has a number of exercises focusing on things such as articles, verbs, nouns, etc. You have to do a number of things in each exercise. Such as circling the nouns in ten sentences for example.

Let's say exercise 3 has 10 abbreviations that you have to right in full form. And you have a question about the 4th abbreviation of the list in exercise 3. You want to show it to someone. You can refer to it by saying something like this:

Volume 2, chapter 5, exercise 3, _____ 4.

What word do you use in place of the blank?

I am aware that you can get around it by saying, "Volume 2, chapter 5, exercise 3.4". Or you can say, "Number 4 of exercise 3".

But I would really like to know if there's a word that can be used to refer to a part of an exercise. I've often found myself feeling the need for such a word. But for the life of me, I just can't think of or find out online a suitable word. :confused:

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!

• Uncle Jack

British English
    You could use 'part' if it is, say, a paragraph or so, but here is just one abbreviation as I understand it, so use 'number'. Even if it isn't actually numbered.

Emerlander

Tamil - India
    Hmm yeah, it seems I'd have to make do with a phrase like that. It can work. So can we conclude that there's no English word to describe a part of an exercise?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It could be "question 4", even if it isn't exactly a question. Since you have already described the parts of the exercise as abbreviations, in that specific context you might call it "abbreviation 4" or "abbreviation number 4".
    In general, an exercise might well be subdivided into parts, and each part might itself contain several questions.

Emerlander

Tamil - India
    You could say "item 4".
    Cool, this looks promising. Item. I guess, the word has a slightly more broad meaning than exercise. I mean, in the context of studying, when I say 'exercise' you'd know it's a subset of a chapter. Not sure if it's readily clear that an item is a subset of an exercise. But may be it is to native speakers? Either way, thanks a lot, Enquiring Mind. 'Item' is more specific than any of the other words I know.

Emerlander

Tamil - India
    It could be "question 4", even if it isn't exactly a question. Since you have already described the parts of the exercise as abbreviations, in that specific context you might call it "abbreviation 4" or "abbreviation number 4".
    In general, an exercise might well be subdivided into parts, and each part might itself contain several questions.
    Thanks. Yeah, that's possible. I actually say something like that at teaching students. I was just looking to see if there's a specific word for it.

< Previous | Next >