subire un goal

rico8

italian
Hi! I was wondering how to translate in English the following expression : "subire un goal". Is it "to get a goal"? Isn't there any better expression?
thank you in advance

• rrose17

Canada, English
    I am not an avid sports fan, and North Americans please feel free to correct me, but I doubt we'd say "concede" a goal, which would appear to be BE. I think in North America you'd be much more likely to say "allow" a goal or "let in" a goal.

NickEnglishItalian

English, Italian
    I am not an avid sports fan, and North Americans please feel free to correct me, but I doubt we'd say "concede" a goal, which would appear to be BE. I think in North America you'd be much more likely to say "allow" a goal or "let in" a goal.
    Let in is fine. Remember we're talking association football here. Soccer if you prefer. I've watched enough matches to know that concede is the preferred choice by commentators and journalists. I wouldn't know in American English, but soccer doesn't seem to be that popular there.

metazoan

US English
    "Conceding a touchdown" is a common enough term in American football. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear an American soccer commentator use "concede the goal", but don't have data.

NickEnglishItalian

English, Italian
    Let in and allow suggest that the goalkeeper or the defence made a mistake. Concede is neutral, it's simply the opposite of score. You can also say concede a point in other sports. A good example is the UEFA Champion League final 2018, Real Madrid 3 - 1 Liverpool. During that match, the Liverpool goalkeeper made to big mistakes. He let in two goals. But Liverpool conceded 3 goals, one was a spectacular bicycle kick by a Real Madrid player, not a mistake. Watch the highlights on YouTube if you can find them, it's worth watching.