(Subject) in/for/at/as last period

Latino24

Español mexicano
I'm talking about classes at a school.

A student says she has history (or any subject) at/for/in the last period.

Could you please tell me what is the correct one and if several are possible explain why? What would be the nuances in meaning?

A) "I have history in the last period."
B) "I have history for the last period."
C) "I have history at the last period."
D) "I have history as last period."

I would say C), but when I look for examples on the Internet, it almost always is A) "...IN the last period." However, B) and D) also appear as options, so I'm really confused.

Thank you for your help.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    When I was at school, we used to use (B). :)

(D) is unlikely in BE, and so is (C), but I wouldn't be surprised to come across (A).

Hermione Golightly

British English
    We would have used 'last period' as an adverbial time phrase like 'last year' and many others, usually without a preposition.
    "I don't believe it! We've got geography last period on Wednesdays after double hockey!"
    That was a long time ago, so maybe it's changed, although I'd be surprised. 'Last period' is like 'tomorrow' - no preposition.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Funnily enough, I see that when writing the story of my schooldays a few years ago, I included the following sentence:
    "I grew throughout my school career to dread the loathesome double Games, which was always the last two periods of one afternoon, and which I strived with increasing success to get out of!"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >