subject to an ironic twist

< Previous | Next >

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Does "where the relationship of image to text is almost invariably subject to an ironic twist" imply "where the relationship of image to text is most of the time ironically the reverse, that is text is used as an amplification of the image"?

Context:
According to this set of conventions, the image is used as a straightforward illustration or amplification of the verbal message, although, of course, this is hardly ever
simply the case in the work of either Kruger or Levine, where the relationship of image to text is almost invariably subject to an ironic twist (Art and Advertising by Joan Gibbons).

• suzi br

English / England
    It’s a case where an example would really clarify the author’s meaning. Have you looked at Kruger or Levine’s work?

I suspect he means where advert makers are playing with the conventions of their genre in a way that will engage or even entertain a knowledgeable audience.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    It’s a case where an example would really clarify the author’s meaning. Have you looked at Kruger or Levine’s work?

I suspect he means where advert makers are playing with the conventions of their genre in a way that will engage or even entertain a knowledgeable audience.
    My main problem is with "ironic twist". Does not it mean "an ironic change of direction" and "to ironically become the opposite and the reverse"?

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    My main problem is with "ironic twist". Does not it mean "an ironic change of direction" and "to ironically become the opposite and the reverse"?
    I doubt that it means this. I expect it means that a slant is given to an advertisement by the juxtaposition of text and/or images. For instance, here's a Kruger advertisement:

The perfume bottle on its side looks like a movie camera, thus giving a sense of focus to the girl on the right, and the impression that wearing the perfume will attract people to you in an indefinable way.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Interesting. If you hadn't mentioned it, I would never have thought of the bottle resembling a camera.
    As for juxtaposition of text with image, the text above the bottle seems to be saying that the best definition of the term "allure" is something that cannot be defined. Now that has an alluring twist to it. :)

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    I doubt that it means this. I expect it means that a slant is given to an advertisement by the juxtaposition of text and/or images. For instance, here's a Kruger advertisement:

The perfume bottle on its side looks like a movie camera, thus giving a sense of focus to the girl on the right, and the impression that wearing the perfume will attract people to you in an indefinable way.
    Thank you so much for the example. But, what does "twist" mean, if it does not mean "change and change of direction"? You say "giving a slant" that I think is synonymous with "change of direction in the content".

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Thank you so much for the example. But, what does "twist" mean, if it does not mean "change and change of direction"? You say "giving a slant" that I think is synonymous with "change of direction in the content".
    You seem determined that it should mean this.

I don't see that a change of direction is implied, just a particular angle, or way of looking at things, which is ironic, that is to say that takes on a particular resonance from the context.

The Kruger advertisement I posted uses photographic language (definition) to point the way the perfume can turn the camera onto you, to draw other people's attention towards you - I don't see any 'change of direction' here, just a pointed and particular way of presenting an idea.

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England

A lot of this work is not even advertising a specific product, but presenting a view, usually a feminist view (in the case of Kruger). The ironic point here is that the usual location of the brain in the male human being is thought to be the head.

suzi br

English / England
    The noun twist has multiple meanings in our dictionary. In the context here you just need to think of angles or variations.

< Previous | Next >