Subject-verb agreement <adjustment[s?] of X and Y lag[s?] ... >

Roundhouse

Bengali
I am not sure if I have satisfied the requirement of subject-verb agreement in the following sentence.

>> This means that the adjustment of the entrance requirement and the benefit duration considerably lags actual economic conditions in the regional labour markets.

This should actually read like this: the adjustment of the entrance requirement and [the adjustment of] the benefit duration considerably lags actual economic conditions

Should adjustment be plural? The adjustment[s?] of X and Y lag[s?] ...

Here, the entrance requirement and benefit duration are two elements of the unemployment insurance program. They are two things but very much related.

Last edited:
  • Roundhouse

Bengali
    Can you tell us the source of the sentence, please? I find this use of 'lag' rather odd.
    Hi london calling, here is once source:

The use of unemployment rate as the sole basis for the VER is firstly problematic because the 3-month moving average is used. This means that the adjustment of the VER substantially lags actual conditions in regional labour markets.

https://www.td.com/document/PDF/economics/special/td-economics-special-gb0409-ei.pdf see page 9.

You can also see ...<lags> actual conditions in regional labour markets. where UncleJack explains me the meaning of lags in this context.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Are you saying that "adjustment" applies to "benefit duration" as well? I read it as only applying to the entrance requirement.

Unfortunately, "adjustment" is usually uncountable, and making it plural sounds a little odd to me, so the easiest way to make it clearer it applies to both terms (without repeating the word) would be to remove "the" before "benefit duration". This also makes the singular "lags" make sense, which I had also wondered at (if you use "and the", you nearly always need a plural verb).

Roundhouse

Bengali
    Are you saying that "adjustment" applies to "benefit duration" as well? I read it as only applying to the entrance requirement.

Unfortunately, "adjustment" is usually uncountable, and making it plural sounds a little odd to me, so the easiest way to make it clearer it applies to both terms (without repeating the word) would be to remove "the" before "benefit duration". This also makes the singular "lags" make sense, which I had also wondered at (if you use "and the", you nearly always need a plural verb).
    Uncle Jack, I was just talking about you. God bless. Yes, I am saying that the public officials need to adjust two things as the rates change: (a) entrance requirement and (b) benefit duration. Given this, does your answer still stand to get rid of "the" before "benefit duration" to make things clear? I also find "adjustments" in this sentence sounds weird.

lingobingo

English - England
    This means that the adjustment of both the entrance requirement and the benefit duration considerably lags actual economic conditions in the regional labour markets.

I’m not sure if lag makes sense in that sentence?

LAG Payment of a financial obligation later than is expected or required (as in lead and lag).

Lag

Roundhouse

Bengali
    This means that the adjustment of both the entrance requirement and the benefit duration considerably lags actual economic conditions in the regional labour markets.

I’m not sure if lag makes sense in that sentence?

LAG Payment of a financial obligation later than is expected or required (as in lead and lag).

Lag
    Hi Lingobingo, lag is an economics jargon. I am not too familiar with its use but it kind of means that something follows something with a bit of delay. Like Oil Prices lag interest rates (that would mean that today's oil price does not reflect or capture the current change in interest rate). Equivalently, interest rates lead oil prices. It takes some time for the change in interest rate to affect the price of oil.

Roundhouse

Bengali

Uncle Jack, would this be wrong: this means that the adjustment of the entrance requirement and the benefit duration lag actual conditions... ?

Uncle Jack

British English
    Uncle Jack, would this be wrong: this means that the adjustment of the entrance requirement and the benefit duration lag actual conditions... ?
    Yes, if "adjustment" applies to both things, for then it is the subject of the verb, which would need to be singular. If "adjustment" only applies to the entrance requirement, then it is fine.

I have no idea whether in your context you need "lag behind"; it would not be needed when talking about electricity, or any other engineering situation I can thing of, but I don't know about other fields.

< Previous | Next >