Subject verb agreement

Hatgray

India
Are these sentences correct?

I have found this in a website.

Bananas plus water results in faster weight loss.

Laying off exercise and allowing afternoon sweets reduces stress.

Appreciate the help.

• Copyright

American English
    I think they're acceptable. "Bananas plus water" and "Laying off exercise and allowing afternoon sweets" are each a single approach to weight loss and stress, respectively.

Hatgray

India
    Shouldn't it be "result" since it should refer to bananas?

And the second sentence, plural as well since they are two seaprate activities?

Copyright

American English
    Shouldn't it be "result" since it should refer to bananas?
    It can be thought of like this:

Taking (bananas plus water) results in faster weight loss.

And the second sentence, plural as well since they are two seaprate activities?
    Same for this:
    Doing this – (laying off exercise and allowing afternoon sweets) – reduces stress.

In both cases, what is described can be thought of a single plan or a single approach to achieving a goal, even though the "plan" consists of multiple foods or activities.

Just as you can say "Ham and eggs is a good breakfast." The "ham and eggs" can be thought of as a description of one meal, like "cereal and bananas" or "pancakes and maple syrup."

Hatgray

India
    It can be thought of like this:

Taking (bananas plus water) results in faster weight loss.

Same for this:
    Doing this – (laying off exercise and allowing afternoon sweets) – reduces stress.

In both cases, what is described can be thought of a single plan or a single approach to achieving a goal, even though the "plan" consists of multiple foods or activities.

Just as you can say "Ham and eggs is a good breakfast." The "ham and eggs" can be thought of as a description of one meal, like "cereal and bananas" or "pancakes and maple syrup."

So you are saying it is right to say:

Pancakes and maple syrup is my favorite breakfast.

Copyright

American English
    You're missing my point. I including examples of three breakfasts, each with a plural (although it wasn't necessary to have a plural, since two items make it plural already):

ham and eggs
    cereal and bananas
    pancakes and maple syrup

Each of those can be considered a single unit, and so take a singular verb.

Hatgray

India
    Undestood.

For the two activities, you mean I can also say "Dancing and singing makes me happy."

Thanks