subjected to <the same aches and pains>

IceJB

Mandarin
Quote: The letter was long, and changed frequently in tone, now curt and businesslike, when she gave financial reasons for ending their interviews, now timid and cajoling, so that Dr. Linnetti wouldn’t be cross. Sometimes the letter was almost affectionate, for there were moments when she forgot Dr. Linnetti was a woman and was ready to pardon her; but then she remembered that this cheat was from a known tribe, subjected to the same indignities, the same aches and pains, practicing the same essential deceits.

Question: What were the same aches and pains could be?

Background: Dr. Linnetti was her psychiatrist. I guess she was going to blame the tribe of psychiatrists.

Source: August, by Mavis Gallant, a short story from her collection ‘Paris Stories’, which you can find in Google Books by the title Paris Stories. (Paragraph 1 from bottom, Page 281)

Thanks to whoever can help!

• Copyright

American English
    The way I read it:

... but then she remembered that this cheat was from a known tribe
    (the tribe of women), subjected to the same indignities, the same aches and pains, practicing the same essential deceits (that the woman/patient herself was subject to, suffered from, and practiced).

In other words, they were the same: they were both from the tribe of women.

Others may read it differently.

Copyright

American English
    It would have been hard for her to forget that the woman in front of her was a woman – what she remembered was the significance of her being a woman.

IceJB

Mandarin
    It would have been hard for her to forget that the woman in front of her was a woman – what she remembered was the significance of her being a woman.
    But she was writing a letter instead of talking face to face to Dr. Linnetti, Copy, maybe at times she did assume its recipient was a man?

Copyright

American English
    But she was writing a letter instead of talking face to face to Dr. Linnetti, Copy, maybe at times she did assume its recipient was a man?
    Dr. Linetti was her psychiatrist. Psychiatrists treat people in person. I assume the woman is not so crazy that she's forgotten that Dr. Linetti is a woman.

It's a manner of speaking, Ice. Suppose my therapist is a woman; I angry with her and write a letter. Mostly it is polite, but *carried away for a few minutes* I say, "You've been a real asshole to me." Later I go over the letter and say, "I forgot--for a few moments-- it was a woman and someone worthy of respect, when I wrote this way."

A parent upon being sassed by her child says, "Have you forgotten I'm your mother?"

Momentary 'forgeting' really means, ceasing to pay heed to something, not actually forgetting, as in the child not knowing the person was its mother.

< Previous | Next >