I would like to know which sentence I should use in the following case:

"It is odd for a gunshot victim's funeral to be held with an open casket"
or
"It is odd that a gunshot victim's funeral is held with an open casket"
or
"It is odd that a gunshot victim's funeral be held with an open casket"
or
"It is odd that a gunshot victim's funeral was held with an open casket"

Should I use 'for + object + to infintive", or subjunctive, or "is", or "was"? Which sentence is correct?

Thank you so much

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I don't think so, (a) it could be "would" (b) 'be' is a correct use of the subjunctive.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I don't think so, (a) it could be "would" (b) 'be' is a correct use of the subjunctive.[/QUOTE

Thank you. Is it natural to use the subjunctive "be" alone with "It is odd that" (though using the subjunctive is common with "It is recommended/suggested/proposed, etc.)?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes. Velisarius mentioned this the other day - she explained that it is the analytical subjunctive - the person saying "It is odd that a gunshot victim's funeral be held with an open casket" is musing on the strangeness or finds it surprising.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Yes. Velisarius mentioned this the other day - she explained that it is the analytical subjunctive - the person saying "It is odd that a gunshot victim's funeral be held with an open casket" is musing on the strangeness or finds it surprising.

Thank you very much. Much obliged.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    :confused:I hope I wasn't suggesting the other day that "be" is anything other than the ordinary present subjunctive.

I think that a construction like "It's odd that it should be held..." or "It was odd that he should have been held..." is sometimes described as the "analytical subjunctive". I think it's useful term for this construction that is so often used in BE in preference to the "synthetic subjunctive". Alternatively I suppose we may call it "the 'should' subjunctive".

Edit: "It is odd that a gunshot victim's funeral be held with an open casket" - I wouldn't use the present subjunctive here. I don't feel the need to use the subjunctive after "it's odd that...", but I could happily use "It's odd that it should be..."

There is also the term "putative/attitudinal 'should'", which I think applies to this example.

Last edited:

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    :confused:I hope I wasn't suggesting the other day that "be" is anything other than the ordinary present subjunctive.

I think that a construction like "It's odd that it should be held..." or "It was odd that he should have been held..." is sometimes described as the "analytical subjunctive". I think it's useful term for this construction that is so often used in BE in preference to the "synthetic subjunctive". Alternatively I suppose we may call it "the 'should' subjunctive".

Edit: "It is odd that a gunshot victim's funeral be held with an open casket" - I wouldn't use the present subjunctive here. I don't feel the need to use the subjunctive after "it's odd that...", but I could happily use "It's odd that it should be..."

There is also the term "putative/attitudinal 'should'", which I think applies to this example.

But and with "is"? Is "It's odd that a gunshot victim's funeral is held with an open casket" frown upon?

e2efour

UK English
    I can't resist joining with others and saying that the following sentence is totally wrong in BE:

"It is odd that a gunshot victim's funeral be held with an open casket".

< Previous | Next >