subjunctive of 'If Josie is smart, she'll get rich'

Honki

Japanese
Hi.

A grammar book of mine gives sentence (1) as a conditional sentence.

(1) (In the situation where Josie is your newborn daughter):
If Josie is smart, she'll get rich.

Needless to say, sentence (1) is not the subjunctive mood.

Question: What are subjunctive past/past-perfect sentences of (1)?

Look at sentences (2) and (3) below:

(2) If Josie was smart, she would get rich.
(3) If Josie had been smart, she would have gotten rich.

These are sentences which I produced in accordance with syntactic rules of the subjunctive mood.

Are sentences (2) and (3) grammatically and semantically correct?

Will you please give me your opinions about sentences (2-3) and subjunctives sentences of (1)?

• Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Yes, 2 and 3 are grammatically correct, but they mean that Josie is not smart (sentence 2) and Josie was not smart (sentence 3), so they don't suit your context. Some people would use "were" rater than "was" in 2.

1. If I won a jackpot, I would spend on the prize money on travelling around the world. (Just imagination, there is no jackpot money with me in the present actually.)

2. If I had been frugal (in the past/when I was young), I'd have saved enough money to buy a car by now. (It's about the past. I was not frugal, so I haven't saved enough money for a car.)

Last edited:

Honki

Japanese
    Yes, 2 and 3 are grammatically correct, but they mean that Josie is not smart (sentence 2) and Josie was not smart (sentence 3), so they don't suit your context. Some people would use "were" rater than "was" in 2.

1. If I won a jackpot, I would spend on the prize money on travelling around the world. (Just imagination, there is no jackpot money with me in the present actually.)

2. If I had been frugal (in the past/when I was young), I'd have saved enough money to buy a car by now. (It's about the past. I was not frugal, so I haven't saved enough money for a car.)
    Thank you for your comment, Englishmypassion.

Your comment is very helpful.
    Once again, thank you very much.

By the way, I would like to ask you a question about a subjunctive sentence.
    Look at sentence (4), which is given in a grammar book of mine.

(4) John won't finish on time, if there's (already) such a lot of pressure on him now.

Needless to say, this is not the subjunctive mood.

What I would like to ask you is a subjunctive-past form of sentence (4).
    Look at sentence (5) below.

(5) John wouldn't finish on time, if there were such a lot of pressure on him now.

Is sentence (5) grammatically and semantically correct as a subjunctive-past sentence?

< Previous | Next >