(Subjunctive?) This X requires that the Y only depend on Z.

Micha

France - French
Hi there everyone, and happy new year!

Small question here; I always get confused by this kind of sentences... Should I say:
This thing requires that the thing only depend on a thing.
or
This thing requires that the thing only depends on a thing.
?

My guess? I would say the second one, but I'm far from sure.

Thank you!

• Stbn_fcr

español - España & català
    SINCE THERE ARE JUST TWO POSSIBLE SUBJECTS WHICH JUST CAN BE 3RD PERSON SINGULAR "IT", you must use "depends". In fact, these two possible subjects can mean:

1. X requires Y depends on Z means the fact that X requires Y only depend on Z. --> [[X requires Y]] only depends on Z. It = the fact = [[X requires Y]] (3rd person singular).

2. X requires that Y depends on Z means X only requires that Y depends on Z. --> X only requires that [[Y depends on Z]].

In other words...

1. The fact that X requires Y only depends on Z.

2. X only requires that Y depends on Z.

It will be easier, if you think about real names instead of letters.

Last edited:

Matching Mole

England, English
    I think you will have to provide a realistic sentence as an example. I find it impossible to judge with a sentence full of place-holders. It also seems odd to require something to depend on something else, and I think it's possible that what you are trying to express does not fit this subjunctive formula, or is not a "subjunctive" statement at all. The subjunctive in this form is used for requests, suggestions and orders, and as far as I can tell, this is not what you are trying to describe.

Micha

France - French
    Thanks! Yeah, that's why I gave "thing" in my examples, to emphasize that my real-world sentence uses singular :) The sentence, in fact, is the following:
    The automaton requires that the ``weight'' of a transition only depend on the input letter.
    Thanks!

gabrielnd

Portuguese - Brazil
    Hello,

I've posted here a doubt about the usage of the subjunctive mood yesterday, and I think that the last answer there left answers your question.

Check it here.

And based upon that I should say that the subjunctive is the correct choice for your sentence.

< Previous | Next >