Subliminal appeal

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
14. Subliminal: below the threshold of conscious perception. Limen is a Latin word meaning “threshold.”
a. The subliminal effect of the rapidly-flashed pictures of popcorn was that the audience headed for the refreshment counter.
b. In our art gallery we rely on soft music and incense to create a subliminal appeal.

(There is no more context)
Source: 601 Words you need to know, Fourth Edition

by Murray Bromberg and Julius Liebb, unit1,

lesson 6 (Social Science), page 32.

Hello teachers,

As you know, Subliminal means: affecting your mind in a way that you are not conscious of.
But in the statement I’ve posted it makes not a good sense to me. What do the bold written
words (Subliminal appeal) mean exactly?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • morior_invictus

Slovak
    But in the statement I’ve posted it makes not a good sense to me.
    Why sb? It makes a very good sense. You can use a lot of techniques to convey hidden messages to customers. In your case, it is soft music and incense.

appeal /əˈpiːl/ n
    the power to attract, please, stimulate, or interest

dadane

English-London
    To me, subliminal refers to something you are not consciously aware of. Soft music you can hear, incense you can smell, so I would not classify these as subliminal methods. In the first example subliminal is correct because the images are deliberately flashed at a rate that your conscious mind cannot perceive but your subconscious can.

Edit: Why are there concurrent threads on this question?

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Why are there concurrent threads on this question?
    Whenever a person asks a question it means he/she really doesn't know the answer of his/her question.
    We can't ask many questions in one thread. That's why I asked them seperately.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    To me, subliminal refers to something you are not consciously aware of. Soft music you can hear, incense you can smell, so I would not classify these as subliminal methods. In the first example subliminal is correct because the images are deliberately flashed at a rate that your conscious mind cannot perceive but your subconscious can.

Edit: Why are there concurrent threads on this question?
    I think the soft music and the incense can provoke associations which are attractive and amount to the subliminal appeal of something.

In other words, although people can hear the music and smell the incense, the thoughts they provoke, which account for the appeal, are linked automatically but subconsciously to the stimuli.

I use gentle guitar music in my shop to encourage people to think of warm summer nights of love, in the hope that these pleasurable associations will provoke them to buy things bigtime. It doesn't always work.

dadane

English-London
    I think the soft music and the incense can provoke associations which are attractive and amount to the subliminal appeal of something.
    The problem is, this generalises subliminal to the point where it has no meaning. Every sensory experience will stimulate associations, so, by this definition, every single thing we consciously see, hear, smell, touch, and taste is subliminal.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    The problem is, this generalises subliminal to the point where it has no meaning. Every sensory experience will stimulate associations, so, by this definition, every single thing we consciously see, hear, smell, touch, and taste is subliminal.
    The sensations are usually conscious, but the associations can creep up on us unaware - I think that is the subliminal part. In some cases we aren't even aware of them until later, if at all.

< Previous | Next >