subroger (contrat)

mfoxfjc2

England and English
Hi again,

I am struggling to get my head around the sentence below:

En tant que de besoin, Madame subroge Monsieur à cet effet dans tous ses droits, actions et obligations

As necessary, Mrs xxxxxx subroges Mr xxxx to this effect in all his rights, action and obligations.

It just doesn't make sense to me :-(.

Thanks in advance,

• Arthur1

English (U. K.)
    Hi there,
    I have the following sentence in a special power of attorney concerning the sale of a house:
    It says that the SELLER shall "subroger le constituant dans tous ses droits et actions".
    But the 'constituant' (the principal) is the one BUYING the house. So shouldn't it be the other way round? i. e. that the buyer is taking over all the responsibilities which were previously the seller's (to insure the house, pay utilities bills, etc.).
    Perhaps this has something to do with the way the verb 'subroger' works?
    Many thanks in advance for your help on this one.
    Best regards,
    Anna Daley

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Hello Anna,

Our dictionary translates subroger with the equally opaque (for us non-lawyers) legalistic term subrogate.
    subroger - traduction - Dictionnaire Français-Anglais WordReference.com

Here's what one English legal dictionary explains:
    Subrogation
    The substitution of one person in the place of another with reference to a lawful claim, demand, or right, so that he or she who is substituted succeeds to the rights of the other in relation to the debt or claim, and its rights, remedies, or Securities.
    Full explanation: subrogation

Our Français Seulement Forum also has a discussion on the term, which may help you grasp it better in the context of French law:
    subroger

Bon courage !

Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    It says that the SELLER shall "subroger le constituant dans tous ses droits et actions".
    L'utilisation du verbe subroger est toujours assez tordue.
    Il faut le comprendre comme Le vendeur déclare comme remplaçant le constituant dans tous ses droits et actions.

< Previous | Next >