subscribe to / unsubscribe from a channel, a website, a scheme, etc

tufguy

hindi
Do we say "we subscribe to a channel, a website, a scheme, etc" or "unsubscribe from a channel, a website, a scheme"? For example "Tom subscribed to a scheme that was introduced by his internet provider. He availed that scheme for a few days but later he unsubscribed from that scheme."

• lingobingo

English - England
    In practice (if my experience is anything to go by), people find themselves having to "unsubscribe" from an awful lot of things they never actively subscribed to in the first place! :D

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    We subscribe to a service. That service may be a paid TV channel like HBO, or an entire cable TV service, or a news service using a website to deliver news each day. It may be an actual newspaper, delivered to your house. It may be a book-of-the-month club.

I have never heard the phrase "subscribed to a scheme". I do not think that is ever said. Note that "availed" is incorrectly used in post #1.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I may be mistaken, but I think that in British English 'subscribe' is used with this sense of scheme, which is largely British English.

a plan, program, or policy officially adopted and followed, as by a government or business:
    The company's pension scheme is very successful.
    It is also possible that I am mistaken.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    That seems reasonable. I was assuming "scheme" with its perjorative meaning, when I wrote my comment above.

london calling

UK English
    I may be mistaken, but I think that in British English 'subscribe' is used with this sense of scheme, which is largely British English.

a plan, program, or policy officially adopted and followed, as by a government or business:
    The company's pension scheme is very successful.
    It is also possible that I am mistaken.
    Subscribe to a scheme sounds odd to me, to be honest.

lingobingo

English - England
    Subscribe to a scheme sounds odd to me, to be honest.
    Me too. We normally talk of joining a scheme.

Citizens' Advice Bureau:
    Once you've decided to join your workplace pension scheme, it's best to join as early as possible to get the maximum benefit from your contributions.

tufguy

hindi
    Me too. We normally talk of joining a scheme.

Citizens' Advice Bureau:
    Once you've decided to join your workplace pension scheme, it's best to join as early as possible to get the maximum benefit from your contributions.
    So what would be the opposite of (joining scheme)?

< Previous | Next >