subsidy on account of

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
In 1503 he opposed in the House of Commons Henry VII.'s proposal for a subsidy on account of the marriage portion of his daughter Margaret; and he opposed with so much energy that the House refused to grant it.
(Introduction to 'Utopia' by Thomas More)

Have I understood it correctly that Thomas More refused Henry VII.'s proposal that the government pay for his daughter Margaret's dowry?

Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    It sounds as though he tried to get people in the House of Commons to refuse this subsidy. According to your source, More was successful. You probably already know that More eventually lost his head for opposing Henry's schemes, so the success was probably just one in a series of grievances that Henry held against him. By my reckoning, More's courage cost him dearly in the end. :)

Loob

English UK
    Yes, I think you've understood "subsidy on account of" correctly, Suprun (it means something like "a grant of finance in respect of"). As owlman says, though, Thomas More didn't refuse it himself; he persuaded the House of Commons to refuse it.

(Owlman - the Henry who had More killed was Henry VIII, Margaret's brother:cool:.)

owlman5

English-US
    Yes, I think you've understood "subsidy on account of" correctly Suprun (it means something like "a grant of finance in respect of"). As owlman says, though, Thomas More didn't refuse it himself; he persuaded the House of Commons to refuse it.

(Owlman - the Henry who had More killed was Henry VIII, Margaret's brother:cool:.)
    Thanks for the reminder, Loob. Being a typical Yank, I tend to get my British kings mixed up.

Suprun, note Loob's friendly reminder. It seems that More was in the habit of opposing the plans of kings. Eventually, this habit caught up with him although it was Henry VIII and not Henry VII who had him executed.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >