substance/essence of the verdict

< Previous | Next >

apoziopeza

slovak
Hi,

Please advise, which of the underlined do you prefer?

Thanks,

A.

Other substance/essence of the verdict is basically out of question.

• cando

English - British
    This needs more context. It does not make sense as it is. What are you trying to say?

apoziopeza

slovak
    What do you want that sentence to mean?
    The author believes that the verdict will only contain the statement he mentioned (believe that the authority will not decide differently). I.e., the author expects this to be the substance/essence of the verdict.

cando

English - British
    If I have understood rightly, I think you need to say:

Anything other than the substance of the verdict is basically out of the question.

Andygc

British English
    I don't think there is enough context to make that a safe answer. What are the two or three preceding sentences?

apoziopeza

slovak
    If I have understood rightly, I think you need to say:

Anything other than the substance of the verdict is basically out of the question.
    Thanks. I meant "no other substance of the verdict is possible" or "no other verdict is possible". "Substance" could be replaced with the word "contents".

apoziopeza

slovak
    Thanks. I meant "no other substance of the verdict is possible" or "no other verdict is possible". "Substance" could be replaced with the word "contents".
    We could say -Anything other than this substance of the verdict is basically out of the question.

wandle

English - British
    We could say -Anything other than this substance of the verdict is basically out of the question.
    An expression such as 'any (or 'no') other substance of the verdict' is not good English because of the mixture of indefinite with definite terms.

I would suggest: 'In essence, no other verdict comes into question'.

apoziopeza

slovak
    An expression such as 'any (or 'no') other substance of the verdict' is not good English because of the mixture of indefinite with definite terms.

I would suggest: 'In essence, no other verdict comes into question'.
    Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >