'Succeed in the eyes of' synonym

E. F. G.

Czech
Hello, I am looking for a some kind of synonym for 'succeed in the eyes of'.
For example like in the sentence 'He will succeed in the eyes of somebody'.
I found "Behold, two kings stood not before him. How then shall we stand?” in the Bible (2 Kings 10:4) but as a non-native English speaker I am not sure of its usage. Could I use 'He will stand before them' not in the sense of literally standing somewhere?

Thank you.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    'In the eyes of somebody' simply means 'from somebody's point of view' or 'from somebody's perspective'.

'Stand before somebody' is mainly used literally, I think, and is unrelated to the first phrase.

Chez

English English
    You seem to have two completely different questions, which need to be in different threads, please.

To answer your second question, I would interpret it as:

Look, those two Kings didn't stay standing when they saw/spoke to him (I assume this means: they knelt down); so how can we stand before him (we aren't even kings, so we should definitely kneel).

E. F. G.

Czech
    OK, thank you, now I know that "to stand before someone" is probably not the right option (English translation of the Bible is slightly different from the Czech translation).
    However, I am still looking for a phrase which expresses something like "to succeed in the eyes of somebody" or rather "to be judged as acceptable/worthy by someone".
    Thank you for your posts.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Please give us the sentence in which you would use this phrase.

An aside: "To succeed in the eyes of" is acceptable English. Why do you need a different phrase?

E. F. G.

Czech
    For example the sentence "He is not sure how he will succeed in their eyes."
    I am searching for a phrase in wich would not be included exactly the word "eyes". And I am also looking for a verb which is similar to "to succeed" but which has a slightly different meaning, something like "to stand up" or "to stack up".
    Thank you very much.

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    "He is not sure how he will succeed in their view" is a possible alternative. I don't know why you want to avoid eyes either.

Stand up and stack up don't mean succeed, which is a problem.

E. F. G.

Czech
    Thanks, I would like to use something like "to succeed before them" or "to succeed by them" (These phrases are probably not grammatically correct, or are they?) but I don't know how to express it.
    To "to stand up" and "to stack up to": that is mabye the problem with a Czech dictionary. However, I am looking for something like "to succeed" in the sense of for example "to be judged as acceptable/worthy by someone".
    Thank you for your posts.

< Previous | Next >