succeed vs manage

< Previous | Next >

Nijan

Italian, Italy - Salerno
Hello,
I can't work out the difference between succed and manage indicating the achievement of a particular task in the past. For example:

We succeded in finding a present for my sister
We managed to clean up the house ...
Did you managed to find a present for your sister?

Are all of these forms correct? What's the difference in usage between the two (apart from the form)

Thanks in advance.

• Musical Chairs

Japan & US, Japanese & English
    Hello,
    I can't work out the difference between succed and manage indicating the achievement of a particular task in the past. For example:

We succeded in finding a present for my sister. This just sounds funny..."succeed" isn't used like this.
    We managed to clean up the house (Despite having four crying babies to take care of, for example.)
    Did you managed to find a present for your sister? (Maybe you were too busy before that or you couldn't find anything that she would like.)

Are all of these forms correct? What's the difference in usage between the two (apart from the form)

Thanks in advance.
    "Manage" implies that there was some sort of obstacle.

I'm not really sure how to explain "succeed," but I think that most of the time it's used for very good things, not something normal like finding a present or cleaning the house.

liliput

U.K. English
    "Succeeded" simply means you achieved what you wanted to do.
    "Managed" carries more of a suggestion of difficulty or struggle - perhaps the house was very dirty and you didn't have a lot of time to clean it before the guests arrived, but despite these problems you succeeded in cleaning it.

liliput

U.K. English
    I agree with Musical Chairs, "succeed" is a bit grand for something like finding a present, we would normally simply say "I found a present."

candy-man

Polish/Poland
    Hello,
    I can't work out the difference between succeed and manage indicating the achievement of a particular task in the past. For example:

We succeded in finding a present for my sister
    We managed to clean up the house ...
    Did you managed to find a present for your sister?

Thanks in advance.
    Maybe the following examples will help u:

We succeeded in preparing the party. It turned out to be a huge spectacle.

We managed to talk him into not purchasing that old house,although he seemed to stand his ground at first.

When you use 'succeed in sth' you mean that the result is sort of spectacular.

JennR

US English
    You can use both. To me, manage implies that hardship or a lot of effort was involved in the tasks.

We managed to clean up the house...
    This suggests effort, perhaps the people involved are cleaning up after a party or a flood and some how, they managed the task.

Success seems to imply less hardship, but could depending on the context of how the present was discovered.

Despite overwhelming odds, we succeeded in finding a present for my sister. (it also seems to suggest that the desired gift was located)

< Previous | Next >