succumb to a cocoon-shrouded slumber

< Previous | Next >
  • Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Succumb to slumber: They get taken over by sleep/They fall asleep and stay that way. "Succumb" means "to give in to [something]".
    Cocoon-shrouded: Covered by a cocoon. A "cocoon" originally referred to the covering that some insect larvae create around themselves, and can also be used to refer to something that completely encloses you. I don't have enough context to figure out what exactly it refers to here.

Nura16

Azerbaijan
    Succumb to slumber: They get taken over by sleep/They fall asleep and stay that way. "Succumb" means "to give in to [something]".
    Cocoon-shrouded: Covered by a cocoon. A "cocoon" originally referred to the covering that some insect larvae create around themselves, and can also be used to refer to something that completely encloses you. I don't have enough context to figure out what exactly it refers to here.
    Thank you Barque. So it means to sleep more deeply or..?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    It looks like the women all fall into an indefinitely long sleep. They don't get up (unless there's a hero who saves them). But without knowing more about the story, it's difficult to say.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    So it means to sleep more deeply or..?
    The phrase "cocoon-shrouded" means "wrapped in a cocoon". I assume that means literally, unless you tell me it doesn't. Having half the world fall into deep sleep implies magic, so why shouldn't there be cocoons around them too?

If it is meant figuratively (if there are no physical cocoons), there is no way to know what it means. This particular author is famous for inventing new phrases -- phrases never heard before, so no-one knows their meaning. We often get phrases from Mr. King asked about in this forum, because there is no place to look them up: they didn't exist until he wrote them.

Nura16

Azerbaijan
    In a future so real and near it might be now, something happens when women go to sleep; they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze. If they are awakened, if the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent; and while they sleep they go to another place...

< Previous | Next >