"such/as ... as", when it comes to uncountable nouns

< Previous | Next >

AI3

Chinese
Hi, everyone.
I have a question concerning "such" and "as" in the structure "not such/as ... as".
For instance, both "It's not as easy a decision as that." and "It's not such an easy decision as that." are legitimate. But when it comes to uncountable nouns, are both structure still legitimate?
For instance, "I don't speak as good German as them." and "I don't speak such good German as them.", which is correct? Or are they both correct?
(By the way, I suddenly have another question. Is the sentence "Are both correct?" legitimate?)

Last edited:
  • Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I think "I don't speak as good German as they (do)" and "I don't speak such good German as they (do)" are grammatically correct but sound a bit awkward to me. We would be more likely to say "My German is not as good as theirs"
    "Are they both correct?" is fine.

wandle

English - British
    Can we choose either structure with uncountable nouns? No.
    The structure 'not as (or 'so') [adjective] a [noun or pronoun] as [noun or pronoun]' only works with the indefinite article.

We would say, for example, 'That essay is not such good German as this'.

AI3

Chinese
    Thanks! Given "Are they both correct?" is fine, can we omit the pronoun "they" and use the word "both" by itself? For example, from what I know, "Both are correct." is legitimate. So is "Are both correct?" legitimate? :confused:

< Previous | Next >