such as it is

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi,everyone:

(a)used to show that you think that something is not good enough or that there is not enough of it

We will look at the evidence, such as it is, for each of these theories.

(b)This expression is generally used apologetically, indicating that the item in question isn't very good or worth much. [Late 1300s]

Of course you can stay for supper, such as it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above are examples in dictionaries. Having read them, I still don't get a hint. Could you explain the usage of "such as it is" to me?

More explanation: I think both examples do not illustrate what does "it" refers to.

Best wishes.

• anwal

English
    Hello HLY2004

The 'it' refers to the subject, it would sound a bit clumsy to say

We will look at the evidence, such as the evidence is, for each of these theories

Of course you can stay for supper, such as the supper is

Anwal

I_like_my_TV

Tongan
    The following is my clumsy rephrase of the phrases, only for helping with the understanding of the meaning:

We will look at the evidence, such as it is, for each of these theories. =>
    We will look at the evidence, even if it isn't worth the term "evidence", for each of these theories.

Of course you can stay for supper, such as it is. =>
    Of course you can stay for supper, even if it isn't worth calling a "supper".

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Hi, Anwal, thank you for your reply.

I still feel confused. Could you give me another example that is common in daily life?
    :)

anwal

English
    Hello hly2004

I think I like my TV's explanation may sum it up - Of course you can stay for supper, even if it isn't worth calling a "supper".

In BE I would tend to use the expression, such as it is, as apologising for the fact that the supper may not be up to a very high standard. So both would be correct.

Of course you can stay for supper, such as it is

or

Of course you can stay for supper, even if it isn't worth calling a "supper".

Both mean the same thing.

Help - anyone else think of any other uses for 'such as it is'

paulio

UK, English
    It isn't a particularly common phrase. An example might be:
    "My hobbies, such as they are, include playing tennis and opera." Here, it indicates that you feel that your hobbies are not very impressive.

< Previous | Next >