such as it is!

< Previous | Next >

SRPGgamer

Chinese
Hi,guys. Just now,while I was watching a film, I encountered an odd expression which I don't know. here are the sentences:

"Career,such as it is"

I was wondering why put "such as it is " what if I take it out? by doing so .Does it remain the same meaning as usual?

Please help me!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi,guys. Just now,while I was watching a film, I encountered an odd expression which I don't know. here are the sentences:

"Career,such as it is"

I was wondering why put "such as it is " what if I take it out? by doing so .Does it remain the same meaning as usual?

Please help me!
    You can't take it out, SRPGgamer. What you're left with is "Career". What does that mean?

"Such as it is" is a term used to describe something less than perfect or to disparage something. I'm a lousy cook so when I cook dinner for friends, I say:

"Well, come and eat. Dinner's on the table, such as it is"

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    If you remove "such as it is", you will be left with a single word (career), which to my mind does not suffice to form a sentence. :D

Do you have more context? It doesn't mean much all by itself to me. :)

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    "Such as it is" is an idiomatic expression that signifies that the speaker is not entirely proud of X, or that they believe X is not the best it could be.

e.g. Well, now that I've told you, what do you think about my sex life? Such as it is.

SRPGgamer

Chinese
    The whole sentences are as followings:

Man:I though,to begin with,you might tell me how you're feeling.

Woman:About what?

Man:The masters you work with and how they treated you.Your career,such as it is Your life.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... Your career, such as it is; your life.

In that reply, Man is indicating that he does not think much of Woman's career. This may be because he does not approve of her choice of career or because (guessing from the earlier sentence) she is in such a lowly, subservient position that she would not normally be said to have a career.

The sentence (it's a fragment really) would make sense without such as it is, but the meaning would be slightly different.

< Previous | Next >