suck it (cigarette)

longxianchen

chinese
Hi
I made up an activity bellow:

Let me show you how to blow smoke rings.
First hold the cigarette between your lips.
Now we use a lighter to light the cigarette like this.
Then
suck it.
Next, use a finger to press one side of your mouth. And you'll get a smoke ring.

But I'm not sure whether the word "suck" works. If not, what are the proper expressions for it please?
By the way, the underlined words are the target ones.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Because of the sexual connotations of the phrase "suck it," most AE speakers would probably use "inhale" instead.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you. What about "take a puff"? Or, does "take a puff or drag" mean "inhale" as well? And can we say "inhale the cigarette"?

sdgraham

USA English
    Let me show you how to blow smoke rings.
    First hold the cigarette between your lips.
    Then suck it.
    Now we use a lighter to light the cigarette like this.
    Next, use a finger to press one side of your mouth. And you'll get a smoke ring.
    Why are you taking a drag on the cigarette before lighting it? :confused:

Since you cannot inhale smoke from an unlit cigarette, you're not going to make any smoke rings.:confused:

longxianchen

chinese
    Sorry for the mistake.Now I have corrected it. But can we use "take a puff" instead of "inhale the cigarette" as I asked in post 3(I have known that we can use "take a drag" from your questions)?

Last edited:

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    Hello, sdgraham.

I have a confusion here; CALD gives two sentences under "puff". What's the difference between "puff on a cigarette" and "puff away at a cigarette"?

She was puffing on a cigarette at the time.
    He sat there, puffing away at a cigarette.

manfy

German - Austria
    I have a confusion here; CALD gives two sentences under "puff". What's the difference between "puff on a cigarette" and "puff away at a cigarette"?
    I'm not sure if the normal, average native English speaker makes a difference between puffing, smoking, and inhaling. But I as native German speaker do (my language is somewhat pedantic when it comes to those little differences).
    Puffing generally means "pretending or appearing to smoke" in the sense of taking a drag (from a lit (!!) cigarette ;) ), keeping the smoke in the mouth for a moment and then blowing it out.
    Inhaling means you're taking a drag, inhale it into your lungs and then you exhale the smoke again.

BTW, for making smoke rings, you need to puff, I think. If you inhale the smoke, you can't get the right consistency of the smoke when you exhale.
    But I'm not too sure; I tried back in the day but I was never good at it, so now I just stick to "normal" smoking ... as lang as that's still possible ... :)

PS: Longxianchen, you normally inhale the smoke. You do not inhale the cigarette! (that would sound as if you're vaporizing the whole physical cigarette and inhaling it).

sdgraham

USA English
    Hello, sdgraham.

She was puffing on a cigarette at the time.
    He sat there, puffing away at a cigarette.
    None, really, see these definitions of "away" from our dictionary

8. continuously; repeatedly:She was typing away madly.
    9. without hesitation: Fire away.
    As a side note: you cannot have "a" confusion, since confusion is not countable.

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    None, really, see these definitions of "away" from our dictionary

8. continuously; repeatedly:She was typing away madly.
    9. without hesitation: Fire away.
    As a side note: you cannot have "a" confusion, since confusion is not countable.
    So, do you mean "puff away on/at a cigarette" means that someone is puffing on it repeatedly and without hesitation? If this is the case, then I think there must be a difference between "puff on" and "puff away on", right?

Do "take a puff" and "take a drag" (as you've said in #4) mean the same thing to you?

So, do you mean "puff away on/at a cigarette" means that someone is puffing on it repeatedly and without hesitation?:thumbsup: If this is the case, then I think there must be a difference between "puff on" and "puff away on", right?:thumbsup:

Do "take a puff" and "take a drag" (as you've said in #4) mean the same thing to you?
    :tick:

To me they do, yes. And of course "a" means "just one" in complete contrast to repeatedly.

One definition of "take" from our WR dictionary:

To receive into the body, as by inhaling or swallowing[~ + object] to take a pill.

Myridon

English - US
    Someone who doesn't know that the cigarette goes between the lips isn't going to understand "puff," "drag," or "draw."
    In that context, your original thought was on the right track, but it was too general and a bad time to use a pronoun (some might suck on the lighter or lick the cigarette as you would suck on a hard candy ;)).
    Suck some air through the cigarette into your mouth.

longxianchen

chinese
    :tick:

To me they do, yes. And of course "a" means "just one" in complete contrast to repeatedly.

One definition of "take" from our WR dictionary:

To receive into the body, as by inhaling or swallowing[~ + object] to take a pill.
    You seem to mean that "take a puff" and "take a drag" can both refer to "inhale the smoke only once". Am I right?

Someone who doesn't know that the cigarette goes between the lips isn't going to understand "puff," "drag," or "draw."
    In that context, your original thought was on the right track, but it was too general and a bad time to use a pronoun (some might suck on the lighter or lick the cigarette as you would suck on a hard candy ;)).
    Suck some air through the cigarette into your mouth.
    Do you mean the "suck the cigarette" works?

< Previous | Next >