suckle the dual teats

meramli

turkish
Simpsons Season 25-Episode 3

Newsman: How's the gang at Channel 6?
Newsman 2: Look, let's get this out of the way just because we both worked at Channel 6 and you made it big and I didn’t doesn't mean I'm bitter.
Newsman: Kent, I’m gonna tell you the most important mistake you ever made ... You could have come with me but you were suckling the dual teats of infotainment and celebrifawning.

Can you explain the meaning of 'suckling the dual teats'? Thanks in advance.

• Oddmania

French
    Hi,

It's a funny way to say that he wallowed in / indulged himself in / took great pleasure in doing 'infotainement' journalism.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    "Infotainment" means information + entertainment. Presumably "celebrifawning" means fawning on celebrities. There are numerous TV shows that do both. "Fawn" means to give a servile display of devotion to someone.

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    To add to the above answers, "suckling the dual teats" in this context roughly means that Kent was obsessed with both those things (the way suckling is one of the most important things for a newborn child).

MirandaEscobedo

British English
    Just in case specific clarification is needed: teats as in udder, what a baby animal sucks on to get milk from its mother. "Teats" can be used of human mothers as well.

meramli

turkish
    I searched the expression 'suckling the dual teats' but nowhere there is an expression like that, did woman make up this expression or is it used some time in other situations? Also what does 'derive one's sustenance' (what Glenfarclas used) mean?

Could you explain these?

MirandaEscobedo

British English
    I searched the expression 'suckling the dual teats' but nowhere there is an expression like that, did woman make up this expression or is it used some time in other situations? Also what does 'derive one's sustenance' (what Glenfarclas used) mean?

Could you explain these?
    No one has suggested that this is a stock phrase or formulae so you would not expect to find it by searching for it specifically.

"Suckling the dual teats of infotainment and celebrifawning" is an analogy:
    Teats --> milk = sustenance for baby, or what gives the baby satisfaction
    dual teats == two teats
    two teats: 1) infotainment 2) celebrifawning.

Kent could have come with the other newsman (to do what we re not told but he could also have been successful) but instead, like a baby, Kent chose the satisfactions/sustenance of lower forms of "news" (infotainment and celebrifawning).

< Previous | Next >