Sudden pain in head

< Previous | Next >

shop-englishx

Banned
Urdu
Hello, my friends,

We, sometimes, feel a sudden pain in our head when we move our head/change the position of our head after keeping it pointed at certain position - it seems as if the veins of brain have crumpled or you can call it a kind of heaviness that's very irritating. This feeling sustains for a short period - it's temporary. After that, we feel normal.

Is there any English name for this kind of sudden pain?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
  • Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    See "migraine" in the dictionary at the top of this page.
    Is that what you are referring to?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I haven't experienced this before. I encounter pain as a result of muscle strain occasionally when I've been in one position two long - usually that's called cramp. Not what you're thinking of?

Uriel-

American English
    You can get a crick in your neck (a muscle cramp), but I have never heard of one in your head itself.

Migraines are a particularly nasty type of headache but I don't believe they fit this context, as they are usually not sudden and last for a long time.

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    I think it's the cramping of the muscles of the neck that causes a slight pain in the head (Why this happens, see OP). When muscles are relaxed, the pain goes away.
    I wonder why most of the people here didn't experience that.

Blurgle

English - Canada
    It's definitely not migraine. Too many people use that word to mean "headache" but that's wrong; migraine is a complex medical condition that has headache as one of its symptoms.

Your condition I would call a "cramp" if it's very painful, or a "twinge" if it isn't.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think it's what I call "a crick in the neck". I don't know either of the terms in #10, and "head-ticking" sounds non-English.

Crick: a sharp, painful spasm or stiffening of the muscles, as of the neck or back:
    a bad crick in my neck. (WR dictionary)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >