sudest asiatico

annalisaF

Italian
Hi everyone!
sudest asiatico
If I use Southeast Asia as an adjective, is the translation "Southeast Asian" correct? I mean, capitalizing Southeast too...
I can't solve this by myself, please suggest :)

Have a wonderful day

Scrivi la frase anche nel thread, non solo nel titolo, grazie.

• annalisaF

Italian
    Ecco una lista dei piatti più succulenti del sudest asiatico!.... Il pad-thai è forse il piatto del sudest asiatico più conosciuto.
    I want to use it as an adjective.

Here's a list of the most delicious south-east Asian dishes. Pad-thai is probably the most well-known of South-east Asian dishes....

Fooler

Italian (Italy)
    Here's a list of the most delicious dishes in Southeast Asia. Pad-thai is probably the most well-known dish in Southeast Asia......

Mio suggerimento ma attendi conferma dai madrelingua

EDIT: dalla rete, sì, puoi usare Southeast Asian comunque

Here's a list of the most delicious Southeast Asian dishes. Pad-thai is probably the most well-known Southeast Asian dish......

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    Hmm. Not so easy I think. Southeast Asian as an adjective, I'm sure exists ( also I don't think you need to capitalize the "s") but like Fooler I'd try to get around it like
    Here's a list of southeast Asia's most delicious dishes. Pad-thai is probably southeast Asia's most well-known dish....

annalisaF

Italian
    Ma non lo stai usando come aggettivo..

Ho un intero articolo di 3000 parole dove lo uso decine di volte. Per questo alcune volto dovrò usarlo come aggettivo... Ti linkerei il post ma non credo sia concesso.

Thanks, everybody! Yes I feel it's hard to clarify my doubts for now, I hope the native readers won't find my article too unbearable.

Here's a list of the most delicious dishes in Southeast Asia. Pad-thai is probably the most well-known dish in Southeast Asia......

Mio suggerimento ma attendi conferma dai madrelingua

EDIT: dalla rete, sì, puoi usare Southeast Asian comunque

Here's a list of the most delicious Southeast Asian dishes. Pad-thai is probably the most well-known Southeast Asian dish......
    Grazie!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Ciao, Paul.
    I don't know what the problem is here.
    AnnalisaF has given us a sentence in Italian which uses "sudest asiatico" as a noun ("Ecco una lista dei piatti più succulenti del sudest asiatico") and has asked us how to translate that into English using an adjectival form.
    That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
    It is quite usual to suggest an English translation which uses an adjectival form or an Anglo-Saxon genitive instead of a noun / noun phrase in the Italian.
    I said: "Here's a list of the most delicious Southeast Asian dishes" is how I would write it.
    Fooler's suggestion is similar.
    Rrose wondered about nthe capitalization - fair enough - personally I would use a capital for"Southeast".
    We don't need an example of an Italian sentence which uses it as an adjective.

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    The problem is that although I've pointed out that sudest asiatico is always used as a noun (as the dictionary confirms) she keeps saying she wants to use sudest asiatico as an adjective, and yet she can only provide examples where it's used as a noun.
    I myself can't put together an Italian sentence in which sudest asiatico is used as an adjective so I'd be really curious to see one of those many sentences where she say she uses it as an adjective.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Southeast Asian definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

adjective
    of or relating to Southeast Asia or its inhabitants

Southeast Asian

adj
    1. (Place name) of or relating to Southeast Asia or its inhabitants

When to Capitalize Directional Words – ESL Library Blog

Yes, most style guides recommend capitalizing Southeast Asia and Southeast Asian. Other common terms for people or adjectives from specific regions include North American, Middle Eastern, and South African. However, most general regions wouldn’t get capitalization (southern/southerner, northwestern/northwestener, midwest/midwesterner, etc.).

Last edited:

annalisaF

Italian
    Ciao, Paul.
    AnnalisaF has given us a sentence in Italian which uses "sudest asiatico" as a noun ("Ecco una lista dei piatti più succulenti del sudest asiatico") and has asked us how to translate that into English using an adjectival form.
    That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
    It is quite usual to suggest an English translation which uses an adjectival form or an Anglo-Saxon genitive instead of a noun / noun phrase in the Italian.
    I said: "Here's a list of the most delicious Southeast Asian dishes" is how I would write it.
    Fooler's suggestion is similar.
    Rrose wondered about nthe capitalization - fair enough - personally I would use a capital for"Southeast".
    We don't need an example of an Italian sentence which uses it as an adjective.
    Thanks, I feel confident now about how I can use it :)

annalisaF

Italian
    here is a sentence in Italian:

"20 Piatti sud-est asiatici da provare secondo i travel bloggers della nostra comunità online"

20 Southeast Asian dishes you should try as recommended by travel bloggers from our online community"

The adjective isn't much used in Italian... let's say it has just begun to be used!... I'm sure Paul wouldn't be concerned with the adjective "nordafricano" or "sudamericano"... probably the poor knowledge of Asia in the Italian collective (or maybe the consideration of Asia as a continent less diversified than others...) makes the use of this adjective sound odd. I find it very intriguing.

annalisaF

Italian
    Thanks for sharing your preferences in the Italian language... again... the target language is English, where the words Southeast Asia and Southeast Asian are used widely. Have a great Sunday :)

< Previous | Next >