sue/ lawsuit

• paugirl

spain
    thank you so much tepatria, but also I could say "they are gonna bring a lawsuit against my cousin for stoling", isnt it?

tepatria

Canadian English
    "They are going to bring a lawsuit against my cousin for stealing" is perfectly acceptable. Gonna is a slang expression for going to and does not sound like it belongs in this sentence.
    Usually someone would be "charged with" stealing. "My cousin is going to be charged with stealing." Sueing and lawsuits are usually not criminal matters, whereas theft is crininal. You are charged with crimes.

paugirl

spain
    I came across a doubt tepatria, then, the expression more used in the daily speech is:

My cousin is going to be charged with stealing
    they will file a lawsuit against my cousin for stealing
    they will bring a lawsuit against my cousin for stealing

although I could use the others too, couldnt I?

thank you ^_^

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I came across a doubt tepatria, then, the expression more used in the daily speech is:

My cousin is going to be charged with stealing
    they will file a lawsuit against my cousin for stealing
    they will bring a lawsuit against my cousin for stealing

although I could use the others too, couldnt I?

thank you ^_^
    Hi Paulgirl. As Tepatria explained, a lawsuit would not be filed by the police against your cousin for stealing. Theft is a criminal offence, not a civil offence. A civil offence would often be a breach of a contract in one form or another. For example, I might have a contract with you to mow my lawn once a week. If I pay you for this deal and you take my money but then only mow my lawn once every two weeks, I could bring a lawsuit against you to reclaim some of my money.

I might also file a lawsuit against you for some perceived wrong but this would be outside the criminal justice system - it would be a lawsuit in the civil justice system.

paugirl

spain
    Hi Paulgirl. As Tepatria explained, a lawsuit would not be filed by the police against your cousin for stealing. Theft is a criminal offence, not a civil offence. A civil offence would often be a breach of a contract in one form or another. For example, I might have a contract with you to mow my lawn once a week. If I pay you for this deal and you take my money but then only mow my lawn once every two weeks, I could bring a lawsuit against you to reclaim some of my money.

I might also file a lawsuit against you for some perceived wrong but this would be outside the criminal justice system - it would be a lawsuit in the civil justice system.
    hello Dimcl, yeah I understand what you say, but, in anyway the examples that I put are fine, isnt it?

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    Paugirl, a "lawsuit" refers to a civil action, where one person sues another person for damages (i.e., money) or equitable relief (such as an injunction to prevent the person from doing the same thing in the future).

A "prosecution" is the criminal equivalent of a "lawsuit." In a prosecution, the government brings criminal charges against an individual.

You cannot use the word "lawsuit" if you're talking about the government bringing criminal charges against someone.

paugirl

spain
    Paugirl, a "lawsuit" refers to a civil action, where one person sues another person for damages (i.e., money) or equitable relief (such as an injunction to prevent the person from doing the same thing in the future).

A "prosecution" is the criminal equivalent of a "lawsuit." In a prosecution, the government brings criminal charges against an individual.

You cannot use the word "lawsuit" if you're talking about the government bringing criminal charges against someone.
    anothersmith thank you for your answer, when I say "they" im not refer to the government, but to the people, to the person who will bring a lawsuit against my cousin (in the example), it`s this wrong?

thanks in advance ^_^

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    Paugirl, maybe the legal system is different in Spain. If the people who are bringing an action (lawsuit or prosecution) against your cousin win in court, what will happen?

If your cousin is sent to jail, then we would refer to it as a "prosecution" in English.

If your cousin has to pay damages to the people bringing the action, we would refer to it as a "lawsuit."

That's an extreme simplification of the law, but I think it will do for purposes of answering your question.

< Previous | Next >