suggest

sophie3210

France and French
Hello everyone,

I am pondering over the translation of "suggested" in the following :

"This divergence suggested a "natural experiment" based on available evidence and stylized facts."

Context : the divergence refers to two different financial systems in use respectively in Europe and the States. Because there was different systems, it provided the means to compare them, hence the "natural experiment".

My attempt :

"Cette différence a laissé se dessiner une "expérimentation naturelle" basée sur des données disponibles et des faits stylisés."

Thanks for your help.
PS : I reckon that the verb "suggérer" would be inappropriate here... ?

• elianecanspeak

English - EEUU
    Can you provide more context?

It is unclear whether "suggested" refers to an experiment that has already occurred, or an experiment that could be carried out in the future.

sophie3210

France and French
    Hello Eliane.

Here is some more context : "At the time in the US, financial architecture had been characterized by specialized financial intermediation .... Meanwhile, virtualy all other countries followed some form of universal banking. This divergence etc.

So I guess that the experiment has not happened in the past nor will happen in the future, but that it rather took place naturally during this period ... I don't know if I am clear !

sophie3210

France and French
    In fact, I think that what the author really meant was that the experiment did happen... Maybe I could use something like "a provoqué", or "a déclenché"...

< Previous | Next >