Suggestions for an antonym for 'flirt'

< Previous | Next >

xaq141175

English - English
'ello :D

I'm looking into the issue of attachment styles in relation to sexualised behaviour and am having a lot of difficulty finding a word that means the opposite for flirting.

Flirting is sexual approach behaviour but I need a word to describe the avoidant equivalent.

Any ideas?

• sdgraham

USA English
    Welcome to the forum, xaq

Not every word in English has an exact opposite.

For example, consider the verb "to run." What's the opposite? To walk? To stand? Obviously, there is no precise opposite action to "run."

Nor, do I feel that there is a precise opposite to "flirt."

In addition to erebos' suggestions, one might say "ignore" or "flip off."

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    'ello :D

I'm looking into the issue of attachment styles in relation to sexualised behaviour and am having a lot of difficulty finding a word that means the opposite for flirting.

Flirting is sexual approach behaviour but I need a word to describe the avoidant equivalent.

Any ideas?
    Oh? I thought you either flirt with someone or you are not interested in that someone at all?

Or maybe you want the opposite of coquettish? I guess I would describe someone who tries hard not to flirt or not to respond to any kind of flirt as solemn, serious, or mirthless.

ewie

English English
    Welcome to the forum, XAQ:)
    A standoffish person is one who puts up 'barriers' between himself and the people around him, and I suppose this could 'include' the opposite of flirtatiousness (though not necessarily). Would that work?

xaq141175

English - English
    'ello:D

I'm warming upto detachment or detach. Which is the opposite of attach for attachment styles

It's short and bitter ;)

Shun is a good one too but it's harder to spit savila at the person I'm speaking to, unless I preload under my tongue, which would just be nasty of me.

Interesting point nichec. I think most people we see we just don't notice consciously. I'm thinking about the people we do notice for whatevr reason, be it attraction or disgust and everything in between, which includes non-observance, but IMO we can't avoid what we don't observe, socially speaking.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >