suggestions (FROM) whoever

richardliu

Chinese
Hi to all dear friends ,
I happened to see the following sentence.
A. To improve the quality of our products ,we asked for suggestions whoever had used the products.
I'd rather put it this way:
B. To improve the quality of our products ,we asked for suggestions FROM whoever had used the products.
Which sentence is correct? I hope to get help from native speakers.
Best wishes

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Except for the space between "products" and its following comma, B is correct. Many would also prefer "whomever," but opinions will differ. "From" is absolutely necessary here.

The Prof

As Cyberpedant says, 'from' is essential. To me, the sentence would also sound more natural if 'whoever' was replaced with 'anyone who':
    -To improve the quality of our products, we asked for suggestions from anyone who had used the products.

In fact, I don't like the repetition of 'products' either, but I would be going beyond both what was asked and what is allowed on the forum if I were to start correcting that too.

Last edited:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Except for the space between "products" and its following comma, B is correct. Many would also prefer "whomever," but opinions will differ. "From" is absolutely necessary here.
    Whomever would be incorrect, because whomever had not used the products - whoever had used them.

< Previous | Next >