suggestive pictures

< Previous | Next >

dn88

Polish
Hello everybody,

The suggestive pictures made him horny.

When I first saw the sentence above, I thought that "suggestive pictures" could only mean literally "photos having sexual innuendo". Then I started to have some doubts, but still personally I think that's the only possible meaning. What's your opinion? No additional context, a stand-alone sentence.

Thanks for any input.

• Trisia

Romanian
    I think I would agree, dn88. I doubt a sane person would consider landscapes or cars a sexual turn-on. :D

(but this is just my opinion)

Loob

English UK
    Yes, "suggestive" normally has that connotation - except in the {relatively unusual} phrase "suggestive of", when it means indicative of, reminiscent of .

Loob

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, I agree dn88. However, the word 'suggestive' shows that the pictures required the viewer to supply some of the sexual content in his own mind. Some advertising might be considered suggestive in this way.

If they were 'explicit pictures', then we would suppose that they were pictures of sexual acts and/or sexual parts.

dn88

Polish
    Yes, I agree dn88. However, the word 'suggestive' shows that the pictures required the viewer to supply some of the sexual content in his own mind. Some advertising might be considered suggestive in this way.

If they were 'explicit pictures', then we would suppose that they were pictures of sexual acts and/or sexual parts.
    Spot on, Cagey! That was exactly the source of my doubts. Thank you, thanks to Loob as well. :)

Cracker Jack

Hello everybody,

The suggestive pictures made him horny.

When I first saw the sentence above, I thought that "suggestive pictures" could only mean literally "photos having sexual innuendo". Then I started to have some doubts, but still personally I think that's the only possible meaning. What's your opinion? No additional context, a stand-alone sentence.

Thanks for any input.
    Suggestive pictures are those that portary people who are barely clad in poses that can cause sexual arousal. They may show naked people simulating sex acts like dancing, body motions, or facial expressions associated with those of persons engaging in the sexual act.

Loob

English UK

I think this is a first-class explanation, and beautifully put.

I'm going to bookmark Cagey's post in case the need to explain "suggestive" comes up again (which is quite probable, given that it has 'false friends' in several languages).

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:, Cagey!

Loob

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    As far as I am concerned, dn88 asked the question because someone translated this sentence into Polish, using "thoughts" instead of "pictures".

He asked my opinion, I said it can surely mean "pictures in his head", which would be "thoughts", but still, dn88 thinks that translation is wrong.

I am not denying the possibility that it can be no more than "real pictures that are suggestive", but I don't want to say it's wrong to interpret it as "suggestive thoughts in his head".

And we wonder if we can get some more opinions, thanks. :)

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=59731&dict=CALD

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Suggestive pictures are those that portary people who are barely clad in poses that can cause sexual arousal. They may show naked people simulating sex acts like dancing, body motions, or facial expressions associated with those of persons engaging in the sexual act.
    I beg to disagree, Cracker Jack. What you are describing is "explicit" pictures. "Suggestive" could be as simply as a beautiful, fully-clad model (male or female), looking longingly at the camera lens and licking his/her pouty lips. Your examples are far from "suggestive".

Trisia

Romanian
    Anyway, to answer nichec's post, I think most would take "pictures" in the literal sense - actual photos, not a product of his imagination...

liliput

U.K. English
    As far as I am concerned, dn88 asked the question because someone translated this sentence into Polish, using "thoughts" instead of "pictures".

He asked my opinion, I said it can surely mean "pictures in his head", which would be "thoughts", but still, dn88 thinks that translation is wrong.

I am not denying the possibility that it can be no more than "real pictures that are suggestive", but I don't want to say it's wrong to interpret it as "suggestive thoughts in his head".

And we wonder if we can get some more opinions, thanks. :)

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=59731&dict=CALD
    Without more context, I would take pictures to mean actual photos or drawings. Using the word images would be more ambiguous.

< Previous | Next >