suicidal AI

< Previous | Next >

searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
Greetings,
Can you help me to understand the meaning of "suicidal AI" at the following sentence, please?

• Mostly though, you fly canned, randomly generated missions for whichever side you choose to back – though with faction rep being system specific, even this has little consequence. It all gets very grindy, very fast. This is not helped by the suicidal AI or having to zoom out until everything is barely a dot to avoid being obliterated by off-screen fire. -source: PCGamer Magazine

Best Regards

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    This seems to be the writer's opinion of the AI employed in the game. It doesn't work to the player's advantage. It leads to the character's demise. Thus, it's suicidal. But I have never seen this game and may well stand to be corrected.

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    It could be, but it should have been explained somewhere in the documentation. "Artificial Intelligence" is what's normally understood by "AI."

Tracer

American English
    Mostly though, you fly canned, randomly generated missions for whichever side you choose to back – though with faction rep being system specific, even this has little consequence. It all gets very grindy, very fast. This is not helped by the suicidal AI or having to zoom out until everything is barely a dot to avoid being obliterated by off-screen fire. -source: PCGamer Magazine
    Part of the problem here, I believe, is that there are several major English errors in this passage, leading to confusion. I'll limit myself to the one under discussion.

It looks to me like the word AFTER suicidal AI should be OF....not OR. Then the sentence makes more sense. (That still doesn't help us with AI, but at least the construction is clearer).

Myridon

English - US
    The suicidal AI refers to the behavior of the "players" that are controlled by the computer. I can't tell from this little context whether these "players" are on your side or on the enemy side.
    "Or" is correct. There are two separate things the author finds not helpful.

sdgraham

USA English
    Is it possible that AI was an abbreviation for "air interception" or "airborne intercept"? If we suppose so, the meaning will not be clearer?
    I've never heard of it used in that manner.
    "Artificial Intelligence" is what's normally understood by "AI."
    Unless, of course, one has an animal interest, where "AI" is normally understood as "artificial insemination."
    As has been repeatedly pointed out, initialisms can be a frustrating exercise in speculation when they are presented in a vacuum.

< Previous | Next >