Sul filo della tradizione

JeleRaus

Italian
Buona sera a tutti.
How would you translate "Sul filo della tradizione" in english? I think that a literal translation may not work here "on the thread of tradition".
There is no context, but I may specify that I have to translate this phrase for a European project which consists in spreading Sardinian culture to foreign countries.
Thank you in advance

• Starless74

Italiano
    I've found many quotes on the internet where the expression 'thread of tradition' is used.
    This seems to suggest the metaphor works fine in english, if you're speaking of weaving as a local tradition.

elfa

English
    I've found many quotes on the internet where the expression 'thread of tradition' is used.
    This seems to suggest the metaphor works fine in english, if you're speaking of weaving as a local tradition.
    It really depends on the context, Starless. Personally I have never heard of 'thread of tradition' - and "on the thread of tradition" would sound a little nonsensical.
    JeleRaus, are you able to give us more of a clue as to the sentence in which this phrase might be used? If not in a sentence, some more context as to exactly what is meant here. :)

JeleRaus

Italian
    Yes of course I'll try.
    It is a play on words which is used to communicate that in Sardinia there is the tradition of weaving using the loom. "Sul filo di" means literally "on the thread of": the word "filo=thread" works as the pun, because it refers to weaving. I dont know if it makes sense to you. :(

elfa

English
    It is a play on words which is used to communicate that in Sardinia there is the tradition of weaving using the loom. "Sul filo di" means literally "on the thread of": the word "filo=thread" works as the pun, because it refers to weaving. I dont know if it makes sense to you. :(
    Yes, of course it makes sense. ;) It just doesn't sound very natural. Is this a stand-alone phrase, or does it come in a sentence?
    If stand-alone, then "On the thread of tradition" could work if the article is then about weaving.

JeleRaus

Italian
    Yes it is a title of a play "From Sardinia to Okinawa -on the thread of..."
    Maybe "following the thread of tradition" may work as well?

< Previous | Next >