summarizing vs weaving

salai

Russian
Hello,

I am doing the E-Moderator Essentials course run by the British Council Ukraine. The course is very interesting and challenging. Today we worked using WiZiQ. An awesome program.
But doing a home assignment, I have run into a problem. The question is:
-When might a moderator summarize a discussion, and when would they weave?
Judging from my own experience, I summarize when I feel enough has been said about a topic under discussion, the question I posted has been clarified and I do not want to burden people who continue answering me any more.
Basically, I summarize one concrete discussion.
The definition of 'weaving' I have found is this: 'Weaving comments are essential to giving on-line groups a sense of accomplishment and direction. They supply the group with a code for framing its own past and advancing into its future.'
But if my students at the university ask me to clarify the meaning of 'weaving', I might find it difficult.
Could you please explain in simpler terms what weaving is.
I am sorry if I posted my question under this heading, I think I should have addressed the moderators of the forum, but, on the other hand, my question is not completely technical, it is a linguistic one as well.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    The definition of 'weaving' I have found is this: 'Weaving comments are essential to giving on-line groups a sense of accomplishment and direction. They supply the group with a code for framing its own past and advancing into its future.'
    This is the first time I've heard of this. Where did you find it? It may be an invention of the author or in limited use in a particular field of study.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I've been going to meetings for several decades, have moderated quite a few myself, but I have never heard the term "weaving" used in this way.

I also find that the definition of "weaving" provided is not truly a definition. It talks about the term, it gives some of its attributes, but it does not define it. (For example, I could say "An automobile has glass windows and seats." This is true, but does not define what an automobile is.)

However, from my general understanding of weaving, I suspect "weaving" comments are made during a discussion while a summary is after it ends. Weaving comments could frame the discussion, help guide it, and move it forward.

I'm willing to be corrected if someone else here is familiar with this specific use.

pops91710

English, AE
    This is the first time I've heard of this. Where did you find it? It may be an invention of the author or in limited use in a particular field of study.
    The real subject is weaving comments, not simply weaving as Salai put it.

Weaving Comments

<< -- >> These are summary or “weaving” comments that define regular phases of the discussion and sum up what has been accomplished. << -- >> To write weaving comments, the moderator or another participant must go over the discussion archive carefully, refreshing the memory of earlier discussions, clarifying confused expressions, identifying the themes, making connections, "indexing" the material. << -- >> http://www.textweaver.org/modmanual4.htm

<< Excessive quotation removed by moderator. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

salai

Russian
    Dear pops91710,

This is exactly the material the lines from which I have quoted in my post.
    Maybe you know about some simpler explanation.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Themes or ideas discussed are often referred to as 'threads'. The idea behind the metaphor of 'weaving' is that the person who makes weaving comments finds the shared elements in these different 'threads' and produces a unified summary that shows their underlying pattern, just as a weaver takes individual threads and weaves them into a single fabric.

It is this creation of a coherent whole out of the disparate comments that distinguishes weaving comments from an ordinary summary.

It seems to me a useful idea, but like the others, I am doubtful that the term "weaving comments" would be known outside a specialized group.

salai

Russian
    Hello Cagey,
    You are right. But this is how our task sounds:
    - When might a moderator summarize a discussion, and when would they weave?
    - What are the advantages of summarizing and weaving, and are there possible risks?

I am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, but need time to find the layman's wording for that.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Cagey,
    You are right. But this is how our task sounds:
    - When might a moderator summarize a discussion, and when would they weave?
    - What are the advantages of summarizing and weaving, and are there possible risks?

I am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, but need time to find the layman's wording for that.

Thank you.
    I tried to indicate the difference between summarizing and weaving. If it is still unclear to you, I suggest that you re-read the article that pops links to in his post. Once you understand the difference, you should be able to think of possible answers to those two questions. They are beyond the scope of this forum. :)

pops91710

English, AE
    Salai,

Please observe that the correct term is "weaving comments", not weave. Perhaps this will help sort it out for you. I believe the link I provided sums it up clearly as to when this takes place. It's not a question of weaving comments vs summarizing. Rather, it is a way of summarizing. Weaving comments can only be done when they are different and various themes/threads that need to come together. Not all summarizations done will consist of weaving comments.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >