Summary vs Abstract

France, French language
Hello everybody,
for a grant application, I have to give first an executive summary of my thesis, then a long explanation with abstract, details of project, progress report etc. I feel a summary ( "résumé") would be redundant by the abstract so I am wondering if the summary in this case could be a table of contents, a summary can also mean "sommaire".
Any clue?
Thanks a lot!

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    You could call it an "overview", perhaps?

Normally a summary would be a brief outline of the contents, aims and results of the thesis - not the table of contents.

sarah82

French-France
    I don't think you can give them the table of contents here. And a summary should not be an abstract. You have to sum up your thesis with a new paragraph (not one that's already in your thesis).

France, French language
    Thanks, but then the difference with the abstract becomes more tricky for me. In my mind, a thesis abstract is not a paragraph of the thesis, it gives an overall of the thesis, its aims etc, that is actually what seems to be a summary here. So, is the abstract supposed to be something like an introduction?

sarah82

French-France
    Ok 0012.
    I might be mistaken here, but what I understand is that a summary is "un résumé", and an abstract is "un extrait".
    They seem to want you to comment and explain an abstract (of your choice) of your thesis.

What do the natives understand here?

broglet

English - England
    Bonjour 0012

I see an "executive summary" as a very brief summary (perhaps in one paragraph)designed for a busy executive who has no time to read any details - to give him/her a flavour of what it's all about.

An abstract, by contrast, will go into rather more detail. I don't thik sarah82 is right about 'extrait'.

< Previous | Next >