summer stock [theater]

< Previous | Next >

dhchong

Korean
Hi. members.

This is dialogue between two lovers lifted from 2nd episode of series 5 of show "Modern Family".
I'm wondering what the summer stock means. Could somebody help me?

[dialogue]
A) No, he'll fire me,and then we'll end up having to get married in your family's barn.
B) Oh, well, we need to book that soon. Because spring is hoedown season,
and then you get right into summer stock, so...

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Summer stock" refers to plays that are performed during the summer. They are often performed in resort areas for summer visitors, and often use companies that travel from one place to another performing the same plays for different audiences. (During the summer theaters in large cities are less active, perhaps because much of their audience is on vacation/holiday.) Perhaps the characters in this scene will have something to do during that time.

Copyright

American English
    Yes, it's short for "summer stock theater." From Wikipedia: Summer stock theatre is any theatre that presents stage productions only in the summer. The name combines the season with the tradition of staging shows by a resident company, reusing stock scenery and costumes. Summer stock theatres frequently take advantage of seasonal weather by having their productions outdoors or under tents set up temporarily for their use.

I think in this case, they have to reserve the barn soon because it will be used for hoe-downs (dances) and then the theater.

dhchong

Korean
    Thank you both of you all. I now got the picture of this dialogue. Actually ,A will not be fired. But B is responding to A, "If you would be fired and we would be marrying in the barn, then we must book the barn....blah blah". I can't express properly , maybe funny way of saying.

< Previous | Next >