Sunday morning coming down

sus4

Japan - Japanese
Hi,

Could anyone help me with the meanings of the following lyrics?

(3) "That's half as lonesome as the sound / Of the sleeping city sidewalk
And Sunday morning coming down." (Recorded by Johnny Cash)

What does "Sunday morning coming down" mean?

Song lyrics are often hard for me to follow.
Thanks!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This is tough without the full context from the lyrics - which you can see HERE.

I suggest that this refers to the lonesome feeling on a Sunday morning, recovering, returning to normal, sobering up, "coming down" after the "highs" of Saturday night.

....Sunday morning coming down to earth after the heights of excitement and pleasure of Saturday night.

James Stephens

English, USA
    "coming down" is jargon meaning "happening". Example: What's coming down, dude? Qu'est qui ce passe? Sunday morning coming down means simply that Sunday morning is happening, or that it's Sunday morning.

James Stephens

English, USA
    An add on: The lyric lists things happening: bacon frying, kids running, what he is doing, how he feels, etc. The lyric becomes a narrative of things coming down = happening on this Sunday morning.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Entirely in the cause of balance, I'll add on a few quotes from the song too:) (in support of the "coming down to reality from the drink/drug induced high of Saturday night").

"I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt."

"I'm wishing, Lord, that I was stoned."

"And there's nothing short a' dying that's half as lonesome as the sound of the sleeping city sidewalk and Sunday morning coming down."

... but of course the alternative explanation has quite a strong case:p :D .

GenJen54

USA - English
    panjandrum said:
    I suggest that this refers to the lonesome feeling on a Sunday morning, recovering, returning to normal, sobering up, "coming down" after the "highs" of Saturday night.
    I tend to agree more with this assessment. Cash is talking specifically about the isolation, dis-connectedness he feels when faced with the "normalcy" of life on a Sunday morning.

For many years of his life, Cash was a noted alcohol and drug abuser. "Coming down," in this sense means coming down off of the high of life in the clubs, where crowds are cheering his name, and he feels on top of his world. Sunday is a rather depressing time, it changes his outlook, because he is not a participant, but a mere observer here.

James Stephens

English, USA
    I change my vote. Good work, Panjanrum and Gen Jen! I would never have made that connection on my own, but when I saw it, it was so painfully obvious that I am a little ashamed of myself.

angeluomo

US English (German/French)
    Yes, Panjandrum and GenJen have got the essence of the song: I actually saw a short documentary on this song once (which was actually written by Kris Kristofferson), and it is all about a down-and-out musician "coming down" from an incontinent bender the Saturday evening before. Particularly the line "and found my cleanest dirty shirt" speaks volumes of the singer's condition.

< Previous | Next >