super archival

< Previous | Next >

Yussi

Finnish
Hello, how do you understand this "super archival". This is form an interview with an artist restoring Keith Haring's murals. Thank you!

"I tried to think about in context, to the artist... and... the time period

and how old it is. And think about the best way we do it.

Are we going to try and get... bring down our own paint?

You know... super archival, or perfect for cement...

trying to keep it simple became... not only an easy solution,

but the most sensible."

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Yussi. Super archival should refer to some sort of substance that has been formulated especially to protect things like paint or paper that deteriorate over time and are easily damaged by the misapplication of harmful chemicals. I assume that archival substances are used in art restoration. I have never heard the phrase before, but here is a link to a page from a Google search for the term archival glue.

Last edited:

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    'Super' these days in informal speech can mean 'extremely' or 'very': super-fast car, super-easy recipe, super-nice person. (I expect the hyphens are optional these days also.)
    Here, where 'archival' refers to a chemical formulation rather than a subjective quality like fast, easy, or nice, I would take it to mean 'very high-quality' or 'extremely unlikely to deteriorate.'

Packard

USA, English
    In the picture framing business "archival" is defined as, first doing no harm. And second as being reversible.

So a cement that did no harm to the image, but could not safely be removed was not archival.

The gold standard for mounting art as archival is rice paper tape and rice paste. This is the method used by the Japanese for many centuries and it the only mounting method that has been proven to meet those twin demands over that length of time.

All modern mounting methods rely on projections, not history.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    Oh, I took it to mean that it was a large Keith Haring mural painted on cement, not some kind of cement that's being applied to a relatively small painting. The person, who is speaking vaguely, is restoring the mural (maybe it's been chipped or worn) in situ, not mounting it on some other surface. The paint in "bring down our own paint" is what "super archival" refers to: that is, paint that is known not to deteriorate over time. Admittedly it's not exactly the usual meaning of archival.
    But that's just my interpretation based on a very close reading of words said by someone who sounds as though he's thinking out loud.

Packard

USA, English
    Oh, I took it to mean that it was a large Keith Haring mural painted on cement, not some kind of cement that's being applied to a relatively small painting. The person, who is speaking vaguely, is restoring the mural (maybe it's been chipped or worn) in situ, not mounting it on some other surface. The paint in "bring down our own paint" is what "super archival" refers to: that is, paint that is known not to deteriorate over time. Admittedly it's not exactly the usual meaning of archival.
    But that's just my interpretation based on a very close reading of words said by someone who sounds as though he's thinking out loud.
    Well, "archival" is the wrong word here. "Durable" is the actual word needed. But "archival" sounds like an artist's term; durable does not. Other options might be "imperishable" or "indestructible".

In any event "super archival" sounds like a kid talking.

We had a super good time at the Six Flags amusement park. The roller coaster was super scary and went super fast.

Archival definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

archival

(ɑːʳkaɪvəl )

adjective [usually ADJECTIVE noun]
    Archival means belonging or relating to archives.
    ...his extensive use of archival material.

< Previous | Next >