Super = building superintendent [?]

< Previous | Next >

kitenok

Hello all,

I am translating conversations among Russians living in New York; they often mix English in with their Russian. There is one line where a woman, describing a situation in which someone is looking for her, says what sounds to me like (with everything except the word in bold in Russian):

The super said that someone was looking for me.

I expect that she is using the US English word super to refer to the superintendent of her apartment building, but I wanted to confirm that this is actually in use in the Northeast, particularly in New York city if possible. I know the word can have this meaning, but I have never actually lived in a place where it was used that way! New Yorkers and New Englanders, is "super" a common word in this meaning where you are?

• kitenok

Thanks for the response, biblio.

As I said, I've never lived in a place where this word was actually used in this meaning -- this covers a dozen or so apartments in Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Florida. In all of those situations this person would have been the "building manager" or something like that. But I'll take your word that this person could be the "super" in New York.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hello all,

I am translating conversations among Russians living in New York; they often mix English in with their Russian. There is one line where a woman, describing a situation in which someone is looking for her, says what sounds to me like (with everything except the word in bold in Russian):

The super said that someone was looking for me.

I expect that she is using the US English word super to refer to the superintendent of her apartment building, but I wanted to confirm that this is actually in use in the Northeast, particularly in New York city if possible. I know the word can have this meaning, but I have never actually lived in a place where it was used that way! New Yorkers and New Englanders, is "super" a common word in this meaning where you are?
    Here's the definitive answer, from someone who actually lives in New York: Yes. It's used by everyone.

mikichan

Chinese
    Which would you more likely say, "the super" or "my super"?

"I had to call the/my super."

Thank you.

< Previous | Next >