Superior to speak to

hersheysand

filipino
hi folks. I need help could you please explain to me this phrase " Do they believe that people who spoke English were like superior to speak to as well? " . I really don't get his point for saying this. Anyone here could help me ? Thanks

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Welcome to the forum Hersheysand.:)

This doesn't sound like anything a native English-speaker would say and I am not sure what it is supposed to mean.
    Can you tell us who said it and give us some context e.g. what was said beforehand or what was happening at the time, in order for us to give an appropriate response.

hersheysand

filipino
    Welcome to the forum Hersheysand.:)

This doesn't sound like anything a native English-speaker would say and I am not sure what it is supposed to mean.
    Can you tell us who said it and give us some context e.g. what was said beforehand or what was happening at the time, in order for us to give an appropriate response.
    Actually, my friend in Hawaii ask me that question and I really don't get what does he mean.

My friend: Does your friends know about me?

Me: they don't have any idea who you are.

My friend: But were they curious who you were talking to?

Me: of course

My friend: I see. Do they believe that people who spoke English were like superior to speak to as well?

And that is how our conversation flow. And I don't get what does he wanted to say .

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Do they believe that people who spoke English were, like, superior to speak to as well?

In AE ", like, " is a special kind of spoken adjective. Here is means "a little bit". It needs commas around it, and in speech normally has pauses before and after around it. It started in the NYC area in the 1950, and spread thru the US.

The speaker seems to be careless about verb tenses, saying "spoke" for "speak" and "were" for "are". He uses "as well" at the end, where most of us would use "also". So in better English the question would be:

Do they believe that people who speak English are a little bit superior (to speak to) also?

That sentence should make sense to you. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

< Previous | Next >